March 28, 2024, 11:50:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: DEVICE NOT CONNECTED  (Read 13725 times)

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
DEVICE NOT CONNECTED
« on: January 26, 2019, 05:24:03 pm »
hi folks!

Just got BeatStep Pro (used). I've got issues connecting my BSP with my macbook pro 13 with high sierra.

When i'm going in the Device settings from the Midi Control Center, i got this message CONNECT A DEVICE TO EDIT THESE SETTINGS.

The BSP and the laptop can't seem to communicate. I want to be able to update the firmware but in order do to that those two needs to communicate.

I read a lot of comments on forums and peoples talk about deleting in the the Audio Midi Center all Arturia devices.

So you know there are none of these devices appears except other gear that i was previously own.

I also hard reset the BeatStep Pro. Also when i'm in the control center, when i click on DEVICES SETTING, i got the following

message DEVICE NOT CONNECTED and the sync button is grey.

What else should i do to make this thing work?

Please help me :-)

thanks
IMAC 2019 - Volca Keys - Volca Sample
Volca Bass - Beatstep Pro - Drumbrute Impact -  Roland SE-02 - Ableton Live

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: DEVICE NOT CONNECTED
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:10:48 am »
Have you tried unplugging then repluggging your BSP when MCC is running?  Have you tried a different USB cable or a different port?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:44:09 am »
yes of course .. ;)

also tried this

try with 3 differents Mac
2 different midi cables

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:51:16 am »
Odd.  The USB port on the BSP must be working or you wouldn't be able to turn it on.
A bunch of questions that are relative, but might seem obvious:
You have no other MIDI device connected?  Is it being detected by computer(s) in any way when you plug it in or only not being seen by MCC?  Are all the Macs you tried it on running the same OS version?  Have you tried using the Y-cable for ensuring there is adequate current getting to the BSP for it to be seen by the computer?  Do you have any other Arturia gear to try connecting?
I am guessing you have the latest version of MCC.    Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling MCC using a freshly downloaded copy.  I hate have to suggest it, but perhaps if you have a friend with a Windows machine ask them if you can install MCC on it to see if the problem continues.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »
Nope.. no other midi devices connected.

I don’t have any way to know if it’s detected by my computer.. did I ?

I tried with 3 differents Mac with 3 differents OS. I even tried it on a pc with windows 9.

Due to the fact that I bought it used, I don’t have this Y cable. Anyway if the BSP is turned on, I guess that he had enough power.. right ?

No i don’t have Arturia gear at home. I have the latest version of MCC and I already installed a fresh copies couple of times.

I talk with someone at Arturia France on facebook and he suggest me to shake the usb cable until he recognized the BSP.

I can’t do that each time I want to use my BSP with Ableton Live !! :-\

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:52:55 am »
I've not owned a mac in over a decade so don't remember if they notify the user of when a USB device is connected.  I vaguely remember a device list somewhere that could be viewed, but I might be just imagining things.  I do know when any USB device is connected to a Windows machine it'll let me know.

If you are trying to use it with a DAW, it should have a list of MIDI devices for you to connect to, so you should be able to see it in it's list if the BSP is actually connecting to the computer.

That's really annoying the seller didn't supply you with the Y-cable as it's pretty necessary when you are running the BSP while it's connected to a computer as it does tend to introduce noise.  I've noticed on my old laptop that if I used a particular port to connect the BSP to modify setting in MCC it wouldn't see the device even though it was getting enough power to light-up.  I solved it by using the Y-cable.  I figured the port was not supplying the required 500mA to allow the BSP to operate correctly.  That said I can't see you having had that same issue on four different computers.

Did the seller supply the MIDI adaptors?  As it is powering-up it would be pretty safe to assume it's getting the required power to run, but just to be sure try sequencing something via the MIDI Out port.

I talk with someone at Arturia France on facebook and he suggest me to shake the usb cable until he recognized the BSP.

LOL! That sounds crazy but does sorta point at the USB socket on the BSP maybe being a bit loose and needing a jiggle for a good connection?  It's always a gamble buying 2nd hand gear as you don't know what's happened to it while the sell has owned it.  If you are in contact with the seller still maybe ask them if they had similar problems?
Best of luck.

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 04:05:02 am »

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 02:17:02 pm »
yep i tried the operation and it didn't worked.  :'(

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:50:04 am »
I sorry to hear that.  The last thing I can think off it using the Y-cable.  I really don't know if it will make much difference, but it's worth a shot.

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 02:10:46 pm »

2 different midi cables

Sorry for the dumb question in case, but just to make sure, are you referring to 2 different USB cables ?
AFAIK the MIDI control center communicates with devices through USB, not through the MIDI port.

Best,

Victor

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 03:44:28 am »

2 different midi cables

Sorry for the dumb question in case, but just to make sure, are you referring to 2 different USB cables ?
AFAIK the MIDI control center communicates with devices through USB, not through the MIDI port.

Best,

Victor

OMG I missed that completely!

od1000

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 07:20:04 pm »
Bump on this, my beatstep pro has recently stopped connecting to the computer as well after not using it for a few months..... did anyone have a solution to this? The symptoms are exactly the same and I have tried all the aforementioned troubleshoots

kowkid00110110 00111001

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 06:39:35 pm »
 ??? Year 2020 and I'm having the same issue. My Arturia Minilab was working fine 2 months ago. Now when I start it up the MIDI Control Center doesn't even recognize that there's a device plugged in. There's enough power for it to light up upon being plugged in, but nowhere is it seen. When I tried to manually upgrade/reset the firmware it says, "Connect a Device to Edit These Settings". When I'm in my Audio MIDI Setup Utility through my Mac, it seems to see something... though it's "offline".

I am going to try a new adapter or HUB and see if that makes a difference. Please give me a shout if any of your found a work around.

JS Rey

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 04:13:31 am »
Hi mates

I have suffered with the same for the last three months, something must be happening with connectivity, that behavior is not normal.

Ableton and MCC do not recognize BSP, it should happen immediately but no.

Sometimes the hard reset allows me to see the BSP again in MCC but it does not work properly because if you turn it off it will be unconfigured again: /

Some people say that setting the MIDI map of your Mac could find the solution, but I have not succeeded ...   :c

If someone advances with this annoying topic please update a new entry  ... :)

Thanx

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines