March 29, 2024, 02:35:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Shifting a single drum instrument pattern one step "left" or "right" by 1/4 or..  (Read 2823 times)

JavaLaurence

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Software Pearls - Java Consultancy
or 1/8th, or 1/16th.. etc.

is it possible?

Can any drum machine do this?
Be Happy. Live for Today

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
No nudge function, you have to do it all manually.....
I recently got a Circuit, it can do pattern nudging, but is very simple in other areas when compared to the BSP (like only running on 16ths and patterns chaining only in order, no way of repeating a pattern before moving to the next in a chain, maximum of 8 sequences per part per session which limits chains to 8 patterns, but it is very fun machine).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:02:00 am by megamarkd »
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

JavaLaurence

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Software Pearls - Java Consultancy
It's ironic that every CPU has individual instructions to rotate all bits left (ROL) or right (ROR) by 1 bit.. I'm surprised the programmers of the BSP haven't thought of such a simple operation in the drums (or even sequencer) section.. Even if the BSP software is written in a high level language, I'm sure that "rotating" the content of a track is just a few hours of programming.  :-\
Be Happy. Live for Today

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Hi JavaLaurence,
Yes it is easy, but not as obvious as you think.

A low level ROL or ROR instruction would only work if the On/Off step status are saved as individual bits. You cannot be sure of that. It may be saved within a class or structure, or sharing an octet with other step parameters or something.
Moreover, the MSB or LSB are lost in a ROL or ROR process. You would loose you first or your last step.
RCL or RCR instructions are more appropriate in this case.

But the most important thing is to find a correct workflow to do this. Maybe something like SHIFT + > or SHIFT + < (the buttons used to change sequences).
Maybe in a future update.

Best,
Y.

case

• Apprentice
Seeing these five year old posts is very disappointing.
Settings & steps shouldn't be affected, only the start position of the loop.
I'd advocate for Shift + LastStep + Step
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 10:05:28 am by case »

obsyscien

Any news? I'm trying to move my sequences a step forward or backward... can't find a way to do it...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines