March 29, 2024, 06:11:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I have but one question  (Read 1914 times)

Svenne

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I have but one question
« on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:29 pm »
What's the point?! I find nothing here that can't be found in a multitude of other softsynths, form several manufactures.

My advise to Arturia is this. Stick to what you excel at (emulating classic synths) and leave the mainstream synths to others.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: I have but one question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:24:14 pm »
The more the merrier IMO. Competition drives up the quality and functionalities, and sometimes keeps the prices low, all in an attempt to remain competitive with or better than the alternatives. For us as consumers, it's a win win situation, I really don't understand why you see it as a bad thing.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:55:03 pm »
Just to mention the most important things without going into details. Pigments has the unique Arturia sound. It's not sterile, cold and harsh. Arturia sound is smoother and is'nt only about being loud, harsh and noisy.
Pigments for example does'nt need a huge amount of reverb to sound good, and that's very important.

Also you don't have to be a technician to use it, even though it has many possibilities for your imagination to use, and that i assume will be even further developed.
It's quite musical and versatile, so it can be used for all kinds of music. If that's a mainstream synth, then Pigments is one yes. But it has it own unique Arturia sound. And it does bring something to the table as i see it.

FYI: Arturia have done and still does make none emulation products.

Why should'nt Arturia have a synth like Pigments? It appeal to new users and it supplement V-Collection and other Arturia products. And again - it has the unique Arturia sound.

Beside that, then more profit could perhaps also benefit emulations, including in developing the older applications further.

Have you ever asked other manufactors why they suddenly create emulations, even if that's not their thing? Or why some emulate the same synth as others? Should they stop doing that and leave it to Arturia?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:45:45 pm by LBH »

Funtmaster

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:46:08 pm »
What's the point?! I find nothing here that can't be found in a multitude of other softsynths, form several manufactures.

My advise to Arturia is this. Stick to what you excel at (emulating classic synths) and leave the mainstream synths to others.

I have but one answer:

I presume you cannot understand why there is more than one type/model of car. After all - they all perform the same function as transport. Or, why do you pick one set of clothes over another when you dress when a canvas sheet would perform equally well.

Its all down to taste and the experience. Pigments may not offer much new to you but it does to me at least. Its visually appealing, easy to navigate, sounds great and sounds different to other soft synths most of the time.

It sparks my imagination and is a rewarding experience. Its the best £69 I have spent in some time.

Biome Digital

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:36 pm »
What absolute nonsense! Just because you don't need it = no one needs it. lol

What about all the people that haven't bought a synth yet? Should they not have it? Maybe someone has 50 analog emulations but no wavetable synth, should they not have Pigments?

::)

Michael K

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:38:44 pm »
That is so unfair. Pigment does have something unique.

1. You can do both FM, Phase modulation,  phase distortion and  wave foldning at the same time. Not even massive or serum can do that.

2. It has a very interesting pitch quantize function.

3. Huge collection of fantastic modulation sources - a most if you are a “go deep” sound designer.

4. It has a great Arturia sound - not sterile and hard.

The FX section could be better though - is very standard. FX sounds great but we need some innovative FX that can really boost your creativity. And based on the long list of feature request from various users, there is still some development to do. But in my opinion, pigment has the potential to be ranked next to massive, serum and other great synth.

I have used Massive for a long time now, and I find Pigments very refreshing. Although it does offer a lot of the same that can be found in other synths, the great Arturia quality of the filters and the sound makes pigments recommendable.

And the GUI looks fantastic - nothing wrong with eye candy

I can’t wait to see how pigment is developed further.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines