March 28, 2024, 10:15:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Other MIDI CC assignment problems  (Read 2677 times)

Saxfred

Other MIDI CC assignment problems
« on: December 03, 2020, 02:28:40 pm »
I recently purchased Pigments 2, and I am not sure I did not make a mistake buying it.
I am not a Keyboard player but mostly a Wind Controller player and I have tried to assign MIDI CC#2 (breath Control to the Frequency cutoff of the filter but I cannot find where is the MIDI CC#2 in the list of MIDI CCs I cannot believe Pigments is only taking few MIDI CC's mainly dedicated to Keyboards but not any for the other alternate controllers ? 
Apart from MIDI CC#1 (Mod Wheel, Aftertouch... I cannot see any other of the 128 MIDI CC's which should be available to have an in deep control of the sounds when using a hardware controller.
I have not seen either a MIDI Learn function ?

Please advise if I have missed something but I have been through (quickly) the manual and I did not find anything ....
Thanks for your help
Saxfred

LBH

Re: Other MIDI CC assignment problems
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

You have many and also better possibilities, than you think now, it look like.

You talk about some reserved midi CC's.
Beside those Pigments do have a Midi learn function. It's a midi connector icon at the top right of the application. When enabled you can assign any control you click on, when you see a dialog window. Please consult the manual about midi learn.

I can also suggest, that you assign your controller to Pigments macros and modulators. That way you can control multiple parameters at a time, and not just a single cutoff for a single filter, which in many cases will not give you the desired change in sound.
Keep in mind, that Pigments have multiple filters.

You have a lot of control possibilities, that you clearly can't even imagine by now. You'll find out, when you learn about Pigments.
Learn about modulation, modulators and the sidechain possibilities. You can do very expressive modulation.

I can add, that you also can create different midi configurations. Please consult the manual about that too.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 03:40:32 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 04:22:44 pm »
It also might be worth checking the manual of your wind controller to see if you can customize any controls at that end. To be fair to Arturia I don't think the Pigments designers sat round a table and said "we best make sure this product is compatible with the immeasurably tiny proportion of people who will want to play it with something ridiculously obscure like a wind controller", but like LBH said there are in fact midi learn possibilities built right in to the app that should allow you to do what you want. Good luck!
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Saxfred

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 07:12:58 am »
"It also might be worth checking the manual of your wind controller to see if you can customize any controls at that end."
Thanks  MajorFubar but this is exactly what I want to avoid as I cannot change the configuration of my Wind Controller on the fly during a live session I have no other way to do it on the Synth itself therefore I can keep the same Wind Controller configuration for all my Synths and virtual Synths.

Thanks LBH for your quick feedback the solution you suggest should be fine but I must admit this is not really user friendly I am using other synths with which I have never opened the manual as they are extremelly intuitive (a right click in the parametter you want to modulate opens a popup menu with all the available sources of modulation is very easy to handle. Same as for Midi Learn
I will try with the information you have provided and I will look closely to the related part of the manual

Thanks you both
Saxfred

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines