April 19, 2024, 07:41:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Random Patch Generator?  (Read 1158 times)

Funtmaster

• Apprentice
Random Patch Generator?
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:55:29 am »
I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the inclusion of a Random Patch Generator in Pigments.

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with the idea. Certainly on the M-Audio Venom the results are rubbish or noise 99% of the time but interesting 1% of the time. Its that 1% that keeps me returning to the feature periodically - just to get a starting point or inspiration for a sound I might never have programmed from scratch. I like the surprise factor.

I know it can be thought of as a lazy approach. But, used wisely and not relied upon as a sole source of patch generation, I think it can be interesting and surprising.

craftycurate

Re: Random Patch Generator?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
+1 for some kind of patch randomiser. This can be controlled Absynth-style, with some kind of percentage value. Complete randomisation would likely produce unusable screechy results, but a more controlled process would be good.

Suggestions:

- Select randomisation percentage\amount (i.e. vary each value by n% of its range)
- Include\exclude certain sound parameters\groups from randomisation

There is already some reGen code in Pigments with a variable percentage, - in the SEQ and the Func mod sources for example, so the idea is not foreign.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines