April 26, 2024, 04:40:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CV & Pitch  (Read 1961 times)

The Producer

• Apprentice
CV & Pitch
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:09 pm »
I would like to take a sequencers trigger into the BSP & then back out to the 1/V Octave input of my VCO & Gate.

Is this possible?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: CV & Pitch
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:45:43 am »
You can use the BSP as a MIDI to CV/Gate converter.  When the BSP is stopped, MIDI notes received on the channels assigned to the different sequencers will be sent out on the corresponding CV, Velocity and Gate outputs.  You can also do this while it is running by muting the sequencer you wish to send the voltages out on.  You can't program the sequencer via CV/Gate though, as it doesn't have CV/Gate inputs.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

The Producer

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:08:10 pm »
I have checked the manual but it doesn't state anything that helps on page 73.

I am taking a clock out of BSP to my Eurorack clock in of the sequencer and the trigger out to midi in.

I have taken my Eurorack trigger out into the Midi in on BSP and then Gate & Pitch out of BSP to the Envelope Gate & Synth Mdule V/OCT.

Midi Center Midi channels are set to Seq 1 Midi 1 & Seq 2 Midi 2.

The only thing I think does not seem correct is taking triggers out from the Eurorack Sequencer to Midi in of the BSP.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:19:47 am »
I have checked the manual but it doesn't state anything that helps on page 73.

I am taking a clock out of BSP to my Eurorack clock in of the sequencer and the trigger out to midi in.

I have taken my Eurorack trigger out into the Midi in on BSP and then Gate & Pitch out of BSP to the Envelope Gate & Synth Mdule V/OCT.

Midi Center Midi channels are set to Seq 1 Midi 1 & Seq 2 Midi 2.

The only thing I think does not seem correct is taking triggers out from the Eurorack Sequencer to Midi in of the BSP.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Oh no-no-no-no, you can't run anything but MIDI into the MIDI input!  I don't think you could have done any damage to the unit, but I'd check the MIDI in to make sure it's still working.  The MIDI In expects a digital signal.  MIDI uses +5v on the tip and 0v on the ring (iirc).  If you have been pulsing it with something higher than +5v there may have been some damage done to the MIDI In, but I don't know much about that at all.
I have accidentally plugged the MIDI adaptor into the Clock In only BSP and but have never checked to see if it's done any damage (I tend to use the BSP as a MIDI slave if I am to slave it).  My Clock Out is working and that's the big one for me and syncing my modular world to my MIDI world.

As I mentioned at the end of my last post, the BSP doesn't have any CV/Gate inputs.  You can run an analogue (pulse) clock into the Clock In, but not a conventional Trigger/Gate really.  It's intended for use with DINSync, but you can run it using a steady +5v gate pulse to advance the sequencers step.  Page 73 gives the different rates that the Clock In can be set to receive (and send) to advance the sequencers in pulses-per-quarter-note.
So if you want to sync your clock module to the BSP, set the BSP to internal sync and connect a regular TS cable to the clock module input.  You need to set the BSP (using MCC) to whatever the clock input is expecting; if it want a simple trigger it'll mostly like be 1ppqn, but if it's a traditional analogue sync, it could be wanting Rolands DINsync spec of 24ppqn.  If you are running in this manner, there is no reason to run anything into the Clock In of the BSP as it is the Master Clock.

Again I must mention, the MIDI In is only for MIDI input to your BSP.  And respectively the Clock In can't take MIDI signals either.  If you try using them in any other way, it won't work and could damage your Inputs.

Hope I've helped.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines