March 19, 2024, 04:18:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Initial key press doesn't trigger envelope properly  (Read 4036 times)

Biome Digital

Re: Initial key press doesn't trigger envelope properly
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 10:27:02 am »
Thanks for explaining this guys. At least you are aware of this behaviour now. I have a small workaround by adding another envelope to the filter for the first attack. It is not perfect but it is ok.

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 11:40:32 am »
thanks Victor for the explanation. I guess I was wrong... :-[
.......testing.......

LBH

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 01:33:31 pm »
Hey,

After some discussion and investigations, we believe what we hear is the filter initialising itself on each new key press. Basically the way the polyphony works in Pigments is that the voice is created when you press a key and then is killed when the amp envelope is finished.

So when pressing a key the filter is created, then takes time to adjust and reach its final state (the pure sine tone).

@LBH, I think this is less noticeable in MiniV3 because it is treating polyphony differently, but in fact you can hear the same fade in, when the voices are played for the first time.
Try to import the Mini V preset attached, create a fresh instance of Mini V and load this preset. Play some notes and you will hear the fade on the first 16 notes. Once they have been played once, they still exist in the background so the fade in will not happen. I tested on another famous plug-in from another manufacturer  I had at disposition and it showed the same behaviour.

Back to topic, in Pigments, currently this is behaving slightly differently as the voices are killed and are not processed anymore when the envelope is finished. We will try and investigate to see if this can be worked around, though I can not guarantee anything nor a quick fix.

Hope it clarified the question !

Best,

Victor
Yes it's much less noticeable in MiniV3, than on Pigments and some other synths out there.

The main thing is Arturia confirm something that look like being the cause for the reported behavior, and that you are on it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:46:09 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines