May 08, 2024, 02:43:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: find/show imported sample location  (Read 1104 times)

clintonpeck

• Apprentice
find/show imported sample location
« on: February 11, 2022, 08:28:14 pm »
I have a fairly huge sample library on a 2nd hard drive in my computer and I would like to use Pigments as my main sample player in song projects.
But if I want to open up a project about a year after finishing it and use the same sample from that project also in a newer project, I will have certainly forgotten where that external sample is located on that 2nd hard drive by then. And if I have used Pigments as its sample player, I just can't seem to find a way in Pigments on how to view it's folder address/location. And if that sample also has a long name and it's showing as being cropped in Pigments, I just can't find a way to view the samples full file name.
Please tell/show me that there is a way to view an external (or internal) samples full folder address in Pigments?

LBH

Re: find/show imported sample location
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 11:49:00 pm »
Hi,

The location is in the "Samples" folder on the path for your resource folder. The resource folder path can be seen and set in Arturia Software Centers Preferences.

If you are on Windows and use the default install path for the resource folder, then keep in mind, that the ProgramData folder is a hidden folder, so you need to enable to see hiddden files and folders in Windows to see it.

clintonpeck

• Apprentice
Re: find/show an external sample location
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 02:35:46 am »
Sorry, I should have written the title as "find/show an external sample location".

If I drag and drop an external sample from my sample library on my 2nd drive (E:) and then save and close the project; And then if I decide to rename my sample library root folder or move the sample library to a 3rd drive (F:) and then open that project again, Pigments with then open a pop up window stating that the sample(s) is now missing and it will show its original file path. Renaming the route folder is way around it to get Pigment to show where the samples file path originally was located, but it is a bit of a hassle and very unusual way for the plugin to show file path of where the external sample(s) are located.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 03:54:18 am »
Have you been able to drag samples to Pigments without the samples have been imported before version 3.5?
I can't recall it ever have been possible to use unimported samples. But it's a long time since i dragged samples to the sample Engine.
It has been a feature request to be able to not have to import and thus have to copy samples, to use a sample in a preset.

I agree, that if Arturia make this possible, then there should be a "Show sample location" functionality. I don't see that functionality is there now.
The sample browser have been changed in version 3.5. Perhaps it's a work in progress. Or perhaps a kind of bug.
I also don't see any functionality for the new "Folder" button option beside the new "Category" button option in the sample select window.
Nothing about any of this in the manual or FAQ afaik.
The dragged sample is not to be seen in the sample browser.

In the release notes for version 3.5 one can read this: "Sample Browser now support custom folders and subfolder browsing." But if that also include external folders (not located in Pigments main sample folder) i don't know.

Perhaps next update will give some answers. You can also ask Arturia support.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 04:01:40 am by LBH »

clintonpeck

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 03:33:30 pm »
I am actually very new to Pigments
1. In the first 2 screenshots below you will see that I successfully dragged and dropped the sample from a temp folder from my sample library on Drive E.
2. I have the project, closed Studio One, then renamed the temp folder as _RENAMED. The opened the project again in Studio One and Pigments cannot find the sample, but it shows it's complete file path. So there is a way round to show full file path and file name of the sample, but you have to temporarly rename the root folder to get Pigment to show that info.

The way look after my sample library's with back up hard drives, I don't need to import these external samples into the Pigments user folder and its browser, I only need to use the Pigments browser if I am looking for factory samples and already installed presets instead. I would just like Pigments to have that extra feature where you view the external samples file path by clicking on a button or right clicking on the sample and selecting "View File Path"  from the menu.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 09:46:43 pm »
1. Yes. As i implied, then i aslo can drag a sample to Pigments version 3.5 without it's being imported.
2. Yes.

I think i have been given my opinion in my first reply.

If you contact Arturia, then i'm sure others like me would be interested in their plans. So please post back, if you find out.

clintonpeck

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 11:10:36 pm »
Having a button or menu link (right click on the sample) would be nice if they added it to the next update.
Arturia I absolutely love Pigments, so please add a feature showing the samples file path on the next update.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines