March 29, 2024, 03:59:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro polyphonic sequencing  (Read 12676 times)

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep Pro polyphonic sequencing
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:31:41 pm »
Hello,

Apologies for starting a new thread on this, there are previous ones, but as it seems for these it's longer possible to reply (I might have missed something though).

OK, as I understood the drumtrack could be used for simultaneous notes, BUT then the gate-value / note length was a showstopper.

Is this still the case / a problem with latest BSP-firmware & MCC-version ?

I haven't bought a BSP (yet), but toying around in MCC (drumtrack editor) I could draw ties to increase the notelength.

Works, right ? Or do I oversee something ?

Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Beatstep Pro polyphonic sequencing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:29:00 am »
You can tie drum notes now.  I don't know if we can play-in long notes, I haven't tried it that way but I have tied the notes manually when programming, in the same way it's done on the note seqs.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:31 pm »
Thanks for the response & info, great, so this was kind of a recent change, and a very nice one!

Not being able to have long notes recorded is no big problem, the edit capability is great!

I did already like the 'primitive' txt-file method for sequences on the MiniBruteSE,
but having it all in the editor for the BSP is lovely.

Thanks

FlavioB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:31:02 pm »
Hi Bernhard.
Why do you want to do polyphonic sequences on a monophonic sequencer? I would not bother and just add another sequencer which can do polyphonic. I got myself 2 BSPs and some other sequencers - I'd suggest you taking a look at Squarp's Pyramid for the polyphonic part.
As you don't have any BSP at all, why don't you just try out the aforementioned sequencer for both poly- and monophonic stuff? OK, I have to admit that the BSP is far more intuitive and quicker/easier to learn than the Pyramid (and this is the reason why I own 2 BSPs and maybe will get a third one) ;-)

... my 2 cents...
F.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:32:46 am »
Hi Bernhard.
Why do you want to do polyphonic sequences on a monophonic sequencer? I would not bother and just add another sequencer which can do polyphonic. I got myself 2 BSPs and some other sequencers - I'd suggest you taking a look at Squarp's Pyramid for the polyphonic part.
As you don't have any BSP at all, why don't you just try out the aforementioned sequencer for both poly- and monophonic stuff? OK, I have to admit that the BSP is far more intuitive and quicker/easier to learn than the Pyramid (and this is the reason why I own 2 BSPs and maybe will get a third one) ;-)

... my 2 cents...
F.

This is my reasoning too, but people really don't like that answer.  I like my KeyStep/Beatstep Pro combo.  Great for doing melodies and chord progs quickly and then jamming over the top.  Works for eurorack fun times too.  The combo is cheaper than a Pyramid, Engine or a Cirklon also.
One thing worth mentioning is that running a polyphonic sampler with the BSP really does benefit from the "poly-mode" Drum Seq if you want to trigger 'non-musical' samples eg dialogue and sound fx (like car crashes).

The Pyramid is like the Great Pyramids in Egypt, mysterious even after studying it LOL!  I haven't fired mine up since fw revision 2.  I love it's drum capabilities; it's great for part swapping on-the-fly, but it's just so esoteric in how it flows.

There's one other chord sequencer which I'm curious about, but I remember passing on it at release.  The maker has being brought to my attention again recently though due to another instrument they are working on.  Might have to remind myself why I passed.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

BodoBrute

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:44:45 am »
In spite of being (only slightly though ;)) offtopic I'd like to add the following:

You can use several BSPs to create paraphonic stuff (such as 3-voiced chords, which is what I did recently) on an analog synth with more than one VCO and separate CV ins for the VCOs:

I sequenced my Music Fom Outer Space (MFOS) Ultimate with three melodic sequencers (two from my first BSP, plus one from my second BSP), while one of the three sequencers provided the gate signal. The other two gate outs of the BSPs remained unconnected. The reason for this was that I was recording the chords for a "Gnossienne" by Erik Satie with rather fast VCF modulation by an LFO. And I wanted that modulation to be synchronous for all three chord voices, which means I had to play all thee notes and send them through the filter at once, not in separately recorded tracks.

I use an E-RM MIDICLock to sync my sequencers so there's no problem running two BSPs at the same time.

You can of course even use different gate outs if your (modular or semi-modular) synth provides different envelope generators and VCAs.

FlavioB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 12:39:11 pm »
This is my reasoning too, but people really don't like that answer.
Well, but why do ppl want to use monophonic sequencers to do polyphony? I don't understand...  #headshaker  ???
F.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 05:25:49 am »
This is my reasoning too, but people really don't like that answer.
Well, but why do ppl want to use monophonic sequencers to do polyphony? I don't understand...  #headshaker  ???
F.

It is puzzling why you would buy a sequencer based on what you think it should do then pester the maker to make it do that for you.
I bought a Patchblock with the idea of making it do what I want to do, but realised after the first day I'd need about four of them to make decent monophonic sequencer that would beat the BSP. And even then I'd have to spend a good amount of time programming, which means not playing music.

MultipleChoice

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:14:31 pm »
I also advise you to use the KeyStep. (I assume you do not need CV controlled polyphony...)

It is a great polyphonic sequencer with the real time recording very quick and intuitive. No programming needed when using that feature and you (can) get a loooot of happy accidents, if you want. Worst case, you use the MIDI editor to program notes exactly as you want quickly, similar to any DAW/Seq. It does involve your PC but is fairly easy and straightforward, if you have an exact idea and you are not that good playing it in real time.

Also the weighting and aftertouch responses (and feels) are surprisingly good compared to most MIDI keyboards up to a couple of hundreds of euros. At first the keys seemed a bit too small to me (got big hands so it looks like a toy, when I play it :) ) but I must say after using it for a while - the size is just perfect and I can hav it in front of me on the table just next to my BSP ;)

Not to forget: you get the KeySteps for about half the price of the BSP...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:45:33 pm by MultipleChoice »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines