March 28, 2024, 05:33:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Streichfett or Roland VP-03  (Read 3467 times)

CRGxxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Streichfett or Roland VP-03
« on: January 05, 2019, 05:53:01 pm »
Hi BSP people.. Happy New Year

I want to add strings to my BSP based jamming station.

Does anyone have experience of the Roland boutique VP-03 strings versus the Streichfett.

If the strings on the VP are similar to the Streichfett I will go for the VP for it's Vocoder and Voice functions which would also be a really nice addition.

Super thanks

Craig

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Streichfett or Roland VP-03
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 02:04:06 am »
Happy New Year to you too!

I have a Streichfett and I love it, but can't give a comparison to the VP-03 as I don't own one.  Using the BSP with the Streichfett you can sequence both parts for it by setting SEQ1 to the channel the Streichfett is on and then setting SEQ2 to the channel above that.  As the BSP SEQs are mono, won't get huge chords out of it, but playing with the ensemble parameter on the Streichfett can make it sound pretty fat even with only one note played.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:15:45 am »
As the BSP SEQs are mono, won't get huge chords out of it, but playing with the ensemble parameter on the Streichfett can make it sound pretty fat even with only one note played.

As I understood, and not in the last place greatly helped by your response in this thread https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=94377.0
, the DRUMSEQ can be of polyph use for non-drum sounds.  I figure that would sure suit the Streichfett as well, or could I still have misunderstood the polyph capabilities of the BSP DRUMSEQ?

Bye/thanks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 01:55:09 am »
As the BSP SEQs are mono, won't get huge chords out of it, but playing with the ensemble parameter on the Streichfett can make it sound pretty fat even with only one note played.

As I understood, and not in the last place greatly helped by your response in this thread https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=94377.0
, the DRUMSEQ can be of polyph use for non-drum sounds.  I figure that would sure suit the Streichfett as well, or could I still have misunderstood the polyph capabilities of the BSP DRUMSEQ?

Bye/thanks

Oh yeah, I even pointed that out, heheh.
Although I've do the quick tie think with a note on the DRUMEQ, I've not tried to use it as a poly sequencer yet, so it slipped my mind that it can be used as one when I was typing the response.  Cheers.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:08:13 am »

Bye/thanks

Oh yeah, I even pointed that out, heheh.
Although I've do the quick tie think with a note on the DRUMEQ, I've not tried to use it as a poly sequencer yet, so it slipped my mind that it can be used as one when I was typing the response.  Cheers.

All very nice!  :D    Actually a bit surprised that not a few more people are raving about this possibility, since it's soo cool!  :o 8)
(On paper that is, no BSP in my hands (yet))

Bye 

CRGxxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »
Hi, Cheers for the responses.

My BSP is full now with drumstation and two mono synths.
I think I will use one of my circuit synth channels to control the Streichfett until I grab a keystep.

On another note.
Has anyone had experience with one knob compression??

I feel my novation drumstation could use some compression and as my little soundcraft FX12 mixer is at capacity
 I am considering grabbing another mixer so I can take advantage of the drumstations multiple outputs and submix into my soundcraft.
I am on a tight budget and would specifically like to know what anyone thinks of the Behringer qx series ... it has compression and is cheap.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_qx1202_usb.htm

Thanks

BodoBrute

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 10:41:04 am »
I think I will use one of my circuit synth channels to control the Streichfett until I grab a keystep.

It may be slightly offtopic regarding the thread title, but the Streichfett and the Keystep make a great team, at least unless you want or need to control the two parts of the Streichfett seperately. Works absolutely flawlessly; I'm actually doing this myself, as long as one MIDI channel is sufficient ;). However, controlling the Streichfett's two parts with the BSP's green and yellow ;) sequencers also works fine if monophony is OK.

Can't say anything about the VP-03 though, since I don't own one and have no experience with it.

Personally, I think using the BSP with a polyphonic or paraphonic synth (unless you use the drum sequencer as a melodic sequencer) is not the best of choices, simply because the BSP isn't designed for this purpose.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:30 am »

It may be slightly offtopic regarding the thread title, but the Streichfett and the Keystep make a great team, at least unless you want or need to control the two parts of the Streichfett seperately. Works absolutely flawlessly; I'm actually doing this myself, as long as one MIDI channel is sufficient ;). However, controlling the Streichfett's two parts with the BSP's green and yellow ;) sequencers also works fine if monophony is OK.

Can't say anything about the VP-03 though, since I don't own one and have no experience with it.

Personally, I think using the BSP with a polyphonic or paraphonic synth (unless you use the drum sequencer as a melodic sequencer) is not the best of choices, simply because the BSP isn't designed for this purpose.

I agree with the statement on using the drum seq as a polysequencer, you can't really play a polysequence in.  Using a Keystep along side a BSP is the way to go really, with the BSP first and the Keystep chained after it.  This way you can pass the BSP sequence onto the Streichfett solo voice while still being able to send the chord sequence to the main voice.  Just remember to set whichever SEQ on the BSP to one channel higher than that of the Keystep.  Fun times are ahead! (Have you ever thought about the phrase "magic is afoot" an imagined a wizard with a foot shaped wand? ;) )

BodoBrute

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 02:59:57 pm »
Using a Keystep along side a BSP is the way to go really, with the BSP first and the Keystep chained after it.  This way you can pass the BSP sequence onto the Streichfett solo voice while still being able to send the chord sequence to the main voice.

Sounds interesting and reasonable  :)... but requires a MIDI merger of some sort, since neither the Keystep nor the BSP have MIDI-Thru ;).

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:05 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot I use a merger.  Kenton Merge4.  It also splits into two.  I've not been using much MIDI gear lately and so have been using it more to split the BSP off to a Microgranny and the Keystep, which then has been running CV out to a eurorack module.  (I have too much stuff sitting around now...)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines