March 29, 2024, 12:27:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Which synth outputs to connect to CV/Gate?  (Read 1692 times)

Jabz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Which synth outputs to connect to CV/Gate?
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:29:37 pm »
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to CV/Gate, and am wondering how best to connect my Roland SE-02 and System 1m to my Beatstep Pro. I realise that this is probably basic stuff to you all, but can any of you give me some guidance not his please?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Which synth outputs to connect to CV/Gate?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:11:51 am »
If you want to use CV and gate to control you Roland gear, run cables from the BSP CV sockets marked Pitch to the CV inputs on them and match them with the Gate outputs to the Gate inputs on the same instrument you sent the Pitch to. 
The socket in the middle marked Velocity (on the BSP) is the velocity of the note you have played (how hard you've hit the pad/key is what sets it) and is the MIDI velocity sent (0-127), but if you are not using MIDI at all you can set that to any value and it won't affect the volume of the  notes.  So you can either use it as the velocity CV and send it to a VCA modulator input and it will adjust the note volume in the same manner as MIDI velocity does, or send it to any other CV input such as filter cutoff to animate the tone (or use it there as a velocity expression type modulation).  Just plug it into any CV input patchpoint on your synths and listen to what happens, it's a great way to learn what each does and how to modulate each in a way you like!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines