News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sync  (Read 1993 times)

GrislyAccord

• Apprentice
Sync
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:49:58 am »
Can Pigments sync with Spark 2?

(As an aside, the verification system in this forum SUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSS. Please replace it with something humans can actually do.)

Funtmaster

• Apprentice
Re: Sync
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:21:08 pm »
I presume you mean the plugin of Spark?

If both are running as plugins, then they will both be synced to the tempo of the host DAW.

Or do you mean something else?

GrislyAccord

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 05:57:38 pm »
When not using a DAW.

I am not a professional musician by any stretch. I wouldn't even really call myself a hobbyist. My primary instruments are banjo and guitar, and I play either one of them at least an hour a day in the evening. Usually more than that. I've only recently begun experimenting with synths and DAWS and drum machines.

So I guarantee arturia's products were not made for me...

But...I just like playing. Loading Ableton Live, launching the plugins, creating tracks and all that is a pain in the ass. I'd rather just launch Pigments and Spark and just start jamming for my own enjoyment.

My first physical synths were Korg's Volca series. I have the FM, Beats, and Keys, and more often than not, I find myself turning away from the much more powerful computer-based options just because it's tiresome to set up. With the Volca series, I sit down, create a basic beat, then a bassline on the FM, then fill in the beat the emphasize the bassline, then work out a melody on the Keys...and it's fun. I don't have any intention of ever creating an album or even sharing what I do with other people. It's just for my own enjoyment.

I would like to be able to do the same with Pigments and Spark. Except I'd like to be able to open two instances of Pigments, for bass and lead. Not have to use Ableton or any other DAW unless I like what I've created enough to actually want to record it or preserve it or whatever. (Oh, and I'd like to be able to record a sequence, rather than the way it's implemented right now.)

As I said, though, I understand that these sorts of tools are not really meant for me so much as for the professional musician/sound designer, etc...

Anyway, I guess the answer to my question is, "Only with a DAW..."

Funtmaster

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:06:40 pm »
When not using a DAW.

I am not a professional musician by any stretch. I wouldn't even really call myself a hobbyist. My primary instruments are banjo and guitar, and I play either one of them at least an hour a day in the evening. Usually more than that. I've only recently begun experimenting with synths and DAWS and drum machines.

So I guarantee arturia's products were not made for me...

But...I just like playing. Loading Ableton Live, launching the plugins, creating tracks and all that is a pain in the ass. I'd rather just launch Pigments and Spark and just start jamming for my own enjoyment.

My first physical synths were Korg's Volca series. I have the FM, Beats, and Keys, and more often than not, I find myself turning away from the much more powerful computer-based options just because it's tiresome to set up. With the Volca series, I sit down, create a basic beat, then a bassline on the FM, then fill in the beat the emphasize the bassline, then work out a melody on the Keys...and it's fun. I don't have any intention of ever creating an album or even sharing what I do with other people. It's just for my own enjoyment.

I would like to be able to do the same with Pigments and Spark. Except I'd like to be able to open two instances of Pigments, for bass and lead. Not have to use Ableton or any other DAW unless I like what I've created enough to actually want to record it or preserve it or whatever. (Oh, and I'd like to be able to record a sequence, rather than the way it's implemented right now.)

As I said, though, I understand that these sorts of tools are not really meant for me so much as for the professional musician/sound designer, etc...

Anyway, I guess the answer to my question is, "Only with a DAW..."

I understand how you want to use it but I think using a DAW is probably your only solution - especially if you want two instances of Pigments open the same time. Both Pigments and Spark are software based plugins (even tho Spark has a hardware controller - it is essentially dumb without the software). You really don't have to get into all the complexities of using a DAW to accomplish what you want. Just create the tracks you need. The beauty is that if you do use a DAW, the projects you create will be saved, can be edited, reworked or just used as a musical memo. You may surprise yourself and start composing.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:54:41 pm »
So what would you play Pigments from? Which synth you currently own do you use as a controller?
There's no reason I can see why you can't do what you want to do, and without a DAW. Set a rhythm going in Spark, open Pigments and jam away. Am I missing something?
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Aymara

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 08:47:57 am »
Am I missing something?

As far as I understand ... I‘m mainly a guitarist, btw ... he wants to jam with guitar or banjo to drumbeat and synth bass line.

And now the brutal truth: The only way is using a DAW.

I highly recommend to use a DAW, that is easier to learn and quicker to setup for such an easy task ... in my opinion Ableton is the wrong choice for someone, who is not willing to learn it.

I‘d recommend trying Reaper instead, which can be tested for free. And it has the most powerful community of all DAWs, incuding tutorial videos.
Greetings from Germany
Chris

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines