April 26, 2024, 12:25:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Some instrument patches are silent to live MIDI input - FIXED BY MAJORFUBAR!  (Read 2064 times)

WatchTheGuitar

Similar to an issue raised here - https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92745.0 - but, raised this fresh as it's not been touched since April.

I bought V Collection 6 today. Installed it and now have an issue with some patches on some instruments not pushing out sound to MIDI controller notes even though you can see the notes depressing on the onscreen keyboard.
I had a similar issue with a number of the Vox Continental and B3 organ patches, but that could be fixed by manually assigning MIDI channels for each keyboard tier through the Preferences button - however, I've found no way around fixing for instance the Ion Storm patch on CS-80V - keys are seen to depress, but no sound - and yet the next patch - Sweep VCA - has no such problem. This is happening to me through both standalone and as a VST inside my main DAW Reaper 5 (latest patch).

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling as per instructions in other threads. Can confirm that I installed MIDIOX and there's definitely Key on/off MIDI messages generated - which is obvious because as I say you can see the onscreen keyboard keys depress when I press keys on my MIDI keyboard (Roland A-800 Pro). When exactly same note is depressed by clicking on the onscreen key with a mouse the sound comes out as you'd expect.
Just to make this even stranger - if I play MIDI notes already recorded in a track and point them to my VST and press play, I hear the sounds. So it appears fundamentally an issue with dealing with live MIDI input.
This is really odd behaviour to say the least. Any advice happily received. Needless to say I've a lot experience with other VSTs and never had this issue where you can see the keys move, but no sound comes out and then clicking the keys with a mouse gives the sound.

Edit: The first 5 patches this happens with are listed here:-
Ion Storm
FM Lead
ACh Steel
Africa
Antarctic

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:18:47 pm by WatchTheGuitar »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Some instrument patches are silent to live MIDI input
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »
Set your controller keyboard to midi channel 1
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

WatchTheGuitar

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 05:26:40 pm »
Yay that works! Thanks for that. It's a bit odd that those CS-80 patches are set to 'ALL' for MIDI Channel, but only pick up on Channel 1. Also makes sense now what happened with the MIDI track I created as that would have defaulted to Channel 1.

Oh well, as long as there's some way I can hear what I play as I play it I'm a happy bunny.

Happy Christmas, MajorFubar :)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:33:44 pm »

Happy Christmas, MajorFubar :)
You too, Sir. Glad I worked.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 03:04:40 am »
It's a bit odd that those CS-80 patches are set to 'ALL' for MIDI Channel, but only pick up on Channel 1.
If the CS-80 Multi section is on, then the presets only respond to the MIDI channel set set fro the used Zones in the Multi section.
A OMNI selection can be used for a zone so it will respond to all MIDI channels, but if specific MIDI channel numbers are set, then the preset only repond to that specific set MIDI channel from 1-16.
In your case the specific set MIDI channel must be 1, while the Multi is on. If it had been set to any other specific Midi channel, then Midi channel 1 would not work, but only the specific set Midi channel.

The ALL MIDI CH setting in the applications bottom panel allow all MIDI channels thru, and that's why you see the GUI keys moves.
But as for example ION Storm has the Multi section on, and the used zone set to Midi channel 1, then you have to use Midi channel 1, to hear sound too.
If the Midi Channel in the used zone in the in the Multi section was set to OMNI - like in the preset Sweep VCA, then you will hear sound using all Midi channels if the Midi Channel in the applications bottom panel also is set to ALL.

That should explain what you exsperience.

Image of Multi Section attached.

Happy Hollidays.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines