April 16, 2024, 06:49:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Matrix 12 Filter  (Read 1680 times)

NewHeart2005

• Apprentice
Matrix 12 Filter
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:46:00 pm »
I am quite new to synthesis and am not sure if I have found a bug or a feature! When using the Matrix 12 Filter with LP12 mode, when resonance is turned fully up it produces a sound even when there is no sound source (such as white noise) to 'activate' the filter. ie. all both engines are turned off, no LFOs active, no white noise etc. I understand turning the resonance up to max will make the filter self-resonate(?) but with other synths I have used the filters do not produce any sound without some sound being fed into them to trigger them.  Is this something special about the Matrix 12 Filter?

Thanks in advance.

LBH

Re: Matrix 12 Filter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:47:23 pm »
It's true that in Pigments Matrix 12 does this when the cutoff is raised.
(FYI: Some synth can self oscillate while others can't. Here is an example video using a Minimoog - but the Mini filter in Pigments can't while it can in Mini V. I guess that's a design choice.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgIf71uWB4)

I also wonder why the Matrix HP12 filter, and the BP24 does'nt close fully in the low freqyncy range. It flattens.  Actually the BP12 filter close more than the BP24.
I think it's the same in Matrix 12 V. But it does'nt quite match the showed drawn curves for the filter types in Matrix 12 V.
Perhaps there is something to check. But i don't know how the original filter behaved.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:52:39 pm by LBH »

NewHeart2005

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:44:40 pm »
It's true that in Pigments Matrix 12 does this when the cutoff is raised.
(FYI: Some synth can self oscillate while others can't. Here is an example video using a Minimoog - but the Mini filter in Pigments can't while it can in Mini V. I guess that's a design choice.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgIf71uWB4)

I also wonder why the Matrix HP12 filter, and the BP24 does'nt close fully in the low freqyncy range. It flattens.  Actually the BP12 filter close more than the BP24.
I think it's the same in Matrix 12 V. But it does'nt quite match the showed drawn curves for the filter types in Matrix 12 V.
Perhaps there is something to check. But i don't know how the original filter behaved.
Thanks for the link LBH. Perhaps Arturia are in fact being really faithful to the original Minimoog :-) Over to them.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 06:22:10 pm »
Arturia are faithful to the real Minimoog. This is not the issue here.
Just wanted you to tell, that it sometimes even is a wanted feature.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines