March 29, 2024, 08:31:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Getting nowhere. - Now getting somewhere.  (Read 2342 times)

fenderchris

• Apprentice
Getting nowhere. - Now getting somewhere.
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:19:28 am »
I've never got to grips with actual synthesis. I've got all of the latest V collection plugins and usually just find a patch close to what i'm looking for and then tweak it a bit.  So, I am hoping that Pigments can change that for me, but all I seem to get out of it are weak and weird drones.

After reading the entire user manual from beginning to end I felt I was none the wiser, but I do have some questions:

1. In the 'Load a wavetable' section it mentions loading a 'sample'.  Would this be any kind of audio sample (like my dog barking, if I had one) or does it refer to some other type of file?  - If the former is the case, should I be able to hear the dog barking in Pigments?

2. I've loaded three audio files in to the wavetable section so far , but how can I delete them from Pigments?    I can see how to delete a Patch, but not a file loaded as a 'wavetable'.

Edit: I've found the answer to this one - Click the X that appears when hovering over the name.

3. Is there a way to start with a blank,empty patch to start experimenting with?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:09:42 pm by fenderchris »
Windows-11, 64gb ram, Nuendo 11.0.41, V7 Collection, Pigments, OB-Xa, CS-80 V4.

LBH

Re: Getting nowhere.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:55:15 pm »
1. In the 'Load a wavetable' section it mentions loading a 'sample'.  Would this be any kind of audio sample (like my dog barking, if I had one) or does it refer to some other type of file?  - If the former is the case, should I be able to hear the dog barking in Pigments?
You will not hear a dog bark. A wav file can be used to load waveforms into the wavetable like the ones you have in the wavetable.

3. Is there a way to start with a blank,empty patch to start experimenting with?
There are different Template presets - like "Default". Have a look in the Template category.

Hang in there.

1Composer

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:54 am »

Hey Fender Chris,

Arturia's Fairlight CMI is the software you want to do what you just asked about.  It's totally rad!  You can drop any wave file into the software and almost instantly it is available to be manipulated and played back at the press of a note on your keyboard.  Amazing software synth!

fenderchris

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:35:38 am »

Hey Fender Chris,

Arturia's Fairlight CMI is the software you want to do what you just asked about.  It's totally rad!  You can drop any wave file into the software and almost instantly it is available to be manipulated and played back at the press of a note on your keyboard.  Amazing software synth!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it. I haven't yet played with the CMI, apart from mapping its controls to my Nektar P1 controller.

I actually only mentioned loading a sample of a dog barking as a means of trying to understand what Pigments was expecting from a 'samp!e'.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:36:43 pm »
I actually only mentioned loading a sample of a dog barking as a means of trying to understand what Pigments was expecting from a 'samp!e'.
In the manual section 5.3.2.4. "Wavetable requirements" - you can read about making your own wavetables.

fenderchris

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 12:22:36 pm »

Hey Fender Chris,

Thanks for the tip. The Fairlight CMI works really well for mapping a sampled sound across the keyboard.

fenderchris

• Apprentice
Re: Getting nowhere. - Now getting somewhere.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:43:12 pm »
I've bought it.

I'm learning a lot about synthesis from it.

Great stuff!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines