March 29, 2024, 04:02:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can I fix a “raised” (white) key ?  (Read 6934 times)

simoncrocket

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can I fix a “raised” (white) key ?
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:01:26 am »
I have one white key that has raised up slightly from the other keys on the keyboard. It still works, but it is annoying and looks bad. It is also difficult to use it in an expressive way with the other keys around it. Is this something I can fix myself ?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I fix a “raised” (white) key ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:50:54 pm »
A piece of the key has broken off underneath. I wouldn't dismantle the controller to try to fix it if it is still under warranty. If it's not under warranty, and depending on your personal technical confidence, this can be repaired yourself if you can find the part that's broken off. Probably still inside the controller.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 03:49:02 pm »
I should clarify it's most likely not a part of the actual key that's broken off, it will be the little piece of plastic which the front of the key hooks into. It will be obvious if you do go in there and look at how the rest of the keys are fastened in. But like I said, don't attempt a repair if it's under warranty, instead see if you can get a warranty repair.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:23:29 am »
I'm guessing this is an unweighted (49 or 61 key) board, because 88keys are a totally different animal. I have one on my Alesis Vortex that's raised. Not sure if one or either are Fatar, but they might be similar. In my case, there's not pieces broken off. I've actually completely disassembled the keybed several times (I like to repaint my keys for holidays), and there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the plastic. I think something's wrong with the spring and it's sitting above the normal position. I tried several times to figure out what was wrong, I couldn't spot anything.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:41:06 pm »
We're probably talking about different things. On the one I repaired, and on the one reviewed by Woody Piano Shack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Un6fYa33U

...there was definitely a piece broken off. In fact the one reviewed by Woody also had a faulty USB socket which needed repair. While outwardly built like tanks, the quality of the actual parts used in these original KeyLab 25/49/61 controllers was shocking. They are definitely not Fatar keys. More look like something Arturia bought in from a Chinese street market tbh. I hope the mkII's are better.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:42:46 pm by MajorFubar »

simoncrocket

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:03 pm »
Thank you guys for your comments - I have been looking at Woody’s video, and reading the various comments, and planning to have a go at opening it up and trying the gluing fix - if the broken piece is to be found that is !

simoncrocket

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:41 pm »
YAY! It worked !! Just as shown in Woody’s video I was able to open it up, find the broken piece - exactly as his was - and glued it into place.
Really pleased as this was annoying me. Thanks again for everyone’s comments and links.
By the amount of similar posts, this is obviously a production fault which hopefully has been fixed in KEYLAB II keyboards ??
I noticed a lot of comments about looking for glue remnants when people are looking to buy a second hand KEYLAB like mine, and I found that whilst dismantling it, the weights used under the keys are actually glued into place, and many have remnants of glue all over them. Not therefore a sign that broken keys have been fixed, just messy manufacturing. I remember mine when brand new had some fine strings of visible glue underneath the key bed. For what it’s worth.....

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines