March 29, 2024, 02:07:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Fast track selection, DAW mode with Reaper  (Read 2882 times)

furio

Fast track selection, DAW mode with Reaper
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:16:14 pm »
Hi to everyone, newbie here...

Just installed everything with my brand new Keylab 61 mkII.
Generally very good, keyboard is lovely, its weigth allow serious use on stage.
Trying to progam everything as I should like.
Only one "bug", if I could name it this way.

Using DAW mode with Reaper, I cannot change on the fly working track.
Putting every track in "automatic record arm" I should like to change track with one button on Keylab.
This would mean for me having 16 VSTs ready for live use, my dream for my gigs.
Keylab buttons for tracks work as toggle: to switch on a new track, you need to switch off the old one.
So if I have a synth active on track one, pushing track button two, makes both tracks active.
This is not happening with Reaper and mouse: when you click on a track in automatic record arm, the old one is switched off automatically.

Is there a way to get that rapid switch from keylab too?

Do I need to try with other software like Ableton Live?
I am so in love with Reaper...

Many thanks to everyone who could help.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:58:59 pm by furio »

AaronFrensley

Re: Fast track selection, DAW mode with Reaper
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:56:43 am »
Just wanted to second this post and confirm that I'm having the same issue.

Using the Track Select buttons on the MkII toggles the corresponding track's selection on and off. It doesn't deselect previously selected tracks as you would expect. For example, if you press Track 1 select, followed by Track 2 select, it will result in both tracks being selected. Pressing track 1 again will deselect track 1 and leave track 2 selected.

It wouldn't be as big of a problem if the LED feedback from the MkII matched this behavior, but it doesn't. The LEDs behave as though it's working the normal way.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:58:34 am by AaronFrensley »

zrazhvad@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:01 am »
I have the same issue:( Track not toggling, just selecting another one. It would be really cool to have comfortable tracks navigation in reaper.

AaronFrensley

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 05:25:28 pm »
I happened to find that if you press a track button twice quickly it will select the track and deselect the others. It's a little annoying, but better than nothing.

zrazhvad@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 08:41:49 pm »
Thank you Aaron. It really helpful and better then nothing.

Lince Pálido

• Apprentice
  • Home Studio Rider
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 02:16:26 am »
I have the same problem.

It's more than annoying because I end up using the mouse when I should use the Arturia KeyLab MkII instead.

The real problem is not having the visual feedback.

The Midi Control Center allows properly setting DAW actions for multiple tracks or single tracks, so if in multiple track mode, when I press "Solo", "Mute" or "Record" in the first row of buttons above transport buttons, I can get visual feedback of armed, muted or soloed tracks, which is great.

The problem is when normal selection of tracks come into place, because the Arturia KeyLab MkII only allows one track to be highlighted and which is also always highlighted, even if there is no track selected at all.

And even worse, because when switching banks, either in DAW or even USER memory modes, the track that the Arturia KeyLab MkII thinks it is selected keeps being lit, with a white Led, instead of the assigned colors in Midi Control Center unless you press that button twice, but then you change to another memory bank, and damn it, the white light comes back again in the same place.

This is a serious problem for me, because when I select multiple tracks I can adjust several parameters at once, but if you don't get the visual feedback that may be some other track is selected, even if it is not armed, you are undoing what you did before, and setting wrong values in the wrong tracks without notice or warning, and whithout the visual feedback that the KeyLab MkII should be showing.

This should be a mature device after SO MANY YEARS, 4 years after OP post, IMO.

RickyReject

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 02:08:38 pm »
Just throwing my vote into this as well. Just got the KeyLab mkii and I'm also a Reaper-user.

I actually want to be able to select multiple tracks, but the main problem is that the LED is corresponding to which tracks are actually selected. Instead, the LED seem to light up based on the last pressed button, and nothing else. That means that you could have three tracks selected in Reaper, while the LED will show only the last selected track - or even worse, you could in theory have NO tracks selected and the KeyLab will still show that a track is selected by having the LED lit up as there is no way ot turning off the LED even by pressing it again when already lit...

Jack Daniel's

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 01:05:51 am »
I actually want to be able to select multiple tracks, but the main problem is that the LED is corresponding to which tracks are actually selected. Instead, the LED seem to light up based on the last pressed button, and nothing else. That means that you could have three tracks selected in Reaper, while the LED will show only the last selected track - or even worse, you could in theory have NO tracks selected and the KeyLab will still show that a track is selected by having the LED lit up as there is no way ot turning off the LED even by pressing it again when already lit...

I submitted this as a bug, not as a request, and Arturia threw me to the crocodiles.

I showed them that's the way the now standard Mackie Universal protocol works, and they submitted my personal information on public web servers without my authorization. Arturia has been provoking me since minute one, saying that "one light and only one light must remain lit". But when I ask why and show them a lot of bugs in every pieces of software being sold by Arturia and how the Mackie protocol works and the original Mackie unit has a multi-select button per track, Arturia has been really a pain in the arse to me. Daily eMails since I bought the keyboard, long, well explained, attaching videos, words, in english as well as my native language, but not way, and they also say this is not a fault although Arturia advertises this keyboard as compatible with Reaper, but what a nightmare when you try to select a few tracks, or even just one track, and you end up with 3 tracks selected in Reaper, and 1 different track lit on the keyboard.

And now the want me to close the 1 month lasting eMail thread just to be able to remove my personal data from public web servers, allowed to be downloaded by anyone and from anywhere, unencrypted, and without even requiring a password.

They also refuse to acknowledge this is a defect and incompatibility with Reaper, but the truth is that the firmware has not been updated for more than 2 years, and they told me I am the only one complaining about this.

At least I can see I am not the only one.

You can watch here a Mackie compatible unit (Behringer) with Reaper, and it has no problem at all having as many led lights on as tracks are selected in Reaper.
https://youtu.be/U6wS7ZOOlEo?t=130

Yes, Arturia claims the KeyLab MKII to be compatible with Mackie Universal protocol (MCU) and with Reaper, but if you call for technical support to make them notice this is a bug, you are a weirdo.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines