April 19, 2024, 08:32:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Inverted Envelope Option  (Read 2002 times)

holografique

Inverted Envelope Option
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »
Suggestion / consideration to add a simple toggle "on/off" to invert the values of the Envelope Generators to a negative value. Similar to the "inverted" EG output on a Roland System-100m 140 Dual EG module.

LBH

Re: Inverted Envelope Option
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »
Just set negative modulation values for the envelope.
For the VCA envelope you can use negative sidechain values.

holografique

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:53:47 pm »
Good point, and honestly I completely overlooked that you can set negative values now. So thanks for mentioning that.

But I still think it would be easier to just have a "toggle/switch" that instantly flips your existing positive values vs having to manually change all your values. This goes back to my example of the inverted EG output on the Roland System-100m EG module.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:30 pm »
Perhaps it can make sense to have a polarity switch for the VCA envelope, but not for others, as you need to set the modulation value anyway no matter it's a positive or negative value. How does it make sense?

I also found out about the "AMP MOD" knob at the right side of the GUI below just below the Master volume and filter routing bring additional options for this.

JUP-8 have polarity switches for the modulation envelope. Not the VCA.
Do you have use for a reversed polarity VCA envelope? For what? It can't be done otherwise?

BTW: You can set negative modulation values or invert functions in different ways in various applications. It's not new.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:07:03 am by LBH »

john_young

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »
Along similar lines, I was trying to invert the keyboard CV for some negative modulation (filter, amp, etc). Came here because I couldn't figure it out.  It would seen a polarity switch on the CVs would be what we're all needing.  Or another perhaps easier way to slice it might be to add an Invert feature to the Combinates.  Apologies if there is some existing way to invert CVs - please let me know.

On edit:  On a bit more exploration, I think Sidechain is doing what I want - just not through AmpMod - instead I'm modulating the Filter Volume with negative keyboard values
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:17:39 pm by john_young »

LBH

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:13:06 pm »
Along similar lines, I was trying to invert the keyboard CV for some negative modulation (filter, amp, etc). Came here because I couldn't figure it out.  It would seen a polarity switch on the CVs would be what we're all needing.  Or another perhaps easier way to slice it might be to add an Invert feature to the Combinates.  Apologies if there is some existing way to invert CVs - please let me know.

On edit:  On a bit more exploration, I think Sidechain is doing what I want - just not through AmpMod - instead I'm modulating the Filter Volume with negative keyboard values
Had writen the following, so i post it. I see you have found the trigger option for the Env VCA.

In generel a modulator can use both negative and positive modulation values. Just like with the Envelopes.

Note: Keep in mind that the Keyboard/ KBD work with a Pivot point at C3 (or C4 depending on the rule used. It's 261.6 Hz.) This can require some learning to use it, as it can be tricky to use it.
Adding a MIDI NOTE number or similar as modulator could perhaps be a good idea to get excact values from the lowest note to the highest. This would not have a pivot point.

I use "for example" as there perhaps can be other ways to do things.

To reverse the pitch of the keyboard you for example can add KBD as modulator with negative values to the engines Coarses.

To decrease Cutoff relative to the higher note you play, then you for example can:
1. Use Env VCA as FM source for a filter, and then add KBD as modulator with negative values to this.
2. Add KBD as modulator with a negative value for the cutoff.

To decrease volume relative to the higher notes you play, then you for example can:
1. Use Keyboard/ KBD as Trigger with a negative value to the VCA env.
2. Add KBD as modulator with a negative value for for example Engine and or Filter volume. This can give more effect.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines