March 29, 2024, 12:38:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Initialising Preset  (Read 1634 times)

CricketMonster

• Apprentice
Initialising Preset
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:54:52 am »
Hello

In an earlier post I mentioned the Steiner filter making a low hum after initialising a preset and turning all VCO's down.  I've realised now that it isn't a low hum, it's a note triggered by the keyboard.  By that I mean I can play the keyboard and there is music albeit very quiet.  I can change the pitch of this note using the pitch wheel or the Fine and Coarse knobs on either of the VCO's, none of the VCO's are sending to the filters.

Is this normal?  I'm sending audio through the Brute for processing and it's a problem because to be able to do so I have to trigger a key, which I'm doing by pressing the 'Key hold' button and then pressing a note on the keyboard. The audio comes through fine using the External knob in the mixer but so does this very quiet note.

To be clear after initialising the preset I turn everything down so I would have thought there would be no sound whatsoever.  The Ladder filter doesn't produce any notes but there is a little bit of hiss when I press a key. There is no noise at all if turn down the filter or turn off the sustain in ENV 2.

Hopefully what I'm saying above isn't complete nonsense.  Perhaps there's something very obvious I'm not doing.

Thank you for your thoughts.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Initialising Preset
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 03:55:02 pm »
This is a known effect of the Steiner Parker filter - it leaks a little audio. To hear it I have to turn everything so high up that a normal note blows out my eardrums and the walls of my studio. But yeah, it's there...

To get rid of it, simply turn down the mixer levels for any oscillators that are assigned to it, or do not assign those oscillators to the Steiner. If the Steiner is not in use at all, turning down its output also works.

The little hiss your hear, pretty low too IMO, is normal and can be managed with filter output levels and/or cutoff frequency as you have done.

CricketMonster

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »
Thanks. Actually the noise still seems to be there even with all the oscillators turned down and or not assigned to the steiner.  That's why I couldn't understand where the noise was coming from...

I can't really filter it out because I'm sending audio through the Steiner for processing so it would filter out the audio also.  Not a huge problem because I can use the Ladder filter. I was just curious to know where this noise is coming from.

Thanks.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 05:31:39 pm »
Thanks. Actually the noise still seems to be there even with all the oscillators turned down and or not assigned to the steiner.
Yes, you're right - there still is some leakage. I never found it much of a problem myself, since any normal use I put the synth to while using the Steiner pretty much masks it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:38:41 pm by DrJustice »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines