March 28, 2024, 10:51:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ratcheting?  (Read 10846 times)

endreola

Ratcheting?
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:18:41 pm »
Greetings fellow MB'ers.

Had recenty seen a video by Kris Lennox demonstrating that ratchting is possible on MatrixBrute (ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9c20tw7l5A). 
Am stumpted as to how this was achieved and would love to understand how I can replicate it.  Any takers? :)

Nice work Kris.

Regards,
Dean

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ratcheting?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:47 am »
Hey,

I am guessing he is using a temp synced LFO (Saw) with a rate of 1/16 to modulate the volume (VCA in the Matrix), then uses the sequencer modulation (seq mod) track to modulate the speed of this LFO (up to 1/32).
Note how Step 7-8 and 14-15-16 have the top row lit up. That means there is some seq mod info active on these steps.
If needed I can explain this further when I get the time, let me know !

Victor
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:20:05 am by Vic-tor »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
What Victor says - however, I think the example in the video does something else. Controlling the LFO speed with the MOD track requires a step set to 0% to bring the LFO speed back to its base setting after the "ratcheting" steps, which does not appear to be the case in the video. The guy with the video calls it "true ratcheting", which require actual triggering of the envelopes. Unfortunately, he has declined to share his method. I'm not at my MxB today, so I can't do any experiments... Back to you Victor :-)

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:56:56 pm »
True, it seems I answered too fast without checking in details !

I tested the method I suggested and could hear that using a LFO to modulate the VCA does not sound like this (different envelope shape)

So the method of the video could involve patching things from the Matrix CV outs and clock/gate in. Will experiment when I get the time and share results if I find a good method :)

endreola

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:00:22 am »
Hey, I appreciate you both looking into this.

Based on Kri's comment that this was achieved "All internal; no outs", which sounds pretty promising.  From what I've seen thus far, most eurorack systems use clock dividers/multipliers/switches to produce this effect.  And then of course there's product that natively supports ratcheting, like the Doepfer MAQ16/3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_9vUWPHoo.  I don't own one but the workflow looks pretty easy :)

Maybe it's just me but his other comment "Arturia will likely create this as a feature in future updates.  But it can be designed without the need for a firmware update.".  So I process that as he had his unit modified to achieve that level of capability.

nazznomi

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:12:12 pm »
Apply LFO 1 or 2 amount to a custom location on the matrix. apply seq mod to the LFO amount with a high mod ammount. Apply the LFO to OSC 2 Ultra in the matrix with a high mod amount and route a cable from OSC 2 Ultra out to Gate in. Setting up a sequence with varying amounts of mod will change the amount of ratchet. Changing the LFO shape will change the nature of the ratchet.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:19:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum, nazznomi!  :)

The method discussed requires no patching, only internal preset parameters. While the patching method sort of works, it's a bit hard to manage as the ratcheting will only happen in the period of the step that is not within the sequencer gate time; e.g. with 50% gate time, the ratcheting will happen for the last half of the step. You also need to have a step at 0% MOD to stop the ratcheting. Still usable of course, for its own variety of ratcheting.

Here's hoping for real ratcheting in the FW update - AFAIK, it's the most requested sequencer feature.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:36:42 pm by DrJustice »

VAU

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:45:07 pm »
and would so nicely be possible with more Matrix pages...

endreola

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 08:05:52 am »

Am curious if anyone has been successful duplicating Kris's patch?

nazznomi

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 11:47:00 pm »
I've attached a preset. It's close. I'll try again when I have more time.

endreola

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 04:12:10 am »
Hey nazznomi, your efforts is greatly appreceated.  Will load up the patch after I get back into town.

Cheers

endreola

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:38 pm »
Hey nazznomi, I finally got the opportunity to load up your patch.  Maybe it's my unit but I can barely hear the ratcheting effects.  In Kris's example the effect is very distinct so I'm assuming he's using a different approach.  Thank you for trying - a Big thumbs up for your efforts!

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 04:24:46 pm »
Er so how do you re-trigger the envelopes, without externally patching?
In the video it does sound like the envs are re-triggering, but could be very similar with just using two LFOs set to gate the amplitude with a SAW down, one 8ths, one 16ths. But he then says it is easy to just assign any value you like.

Arturia did you know you can re-trigger the envelopes without patching?

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 08:55:40 am »
Hey,

I did spent some time on it a couple of weeks ago, and was able to get ok results by sending a synced LFO to the gate input (via CV out and in) and modulating its rate using the seq mod.

Controlling the LFO speed with the MOD track requires a step set to 0% to bring the LFO speed back to its base setting after the "ratcheting" steps, which does not appear to be the case in the video.

@DrJustice, I also noticed the accent steps were lit up after the "ratcheting" steps and noticed assigning a negative velocity modulation amount to the LFO rate as well.

The end result sounded like what is heard in the video (as opposed to using the LFO to modulate the OSC volume which has a different shape and sounds less sharp) so I am beginning to think that may be the setup he was using in the video`! It was not super handy and easy to modify though.

Best,

Victor

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 09:12:48 am »
Whoooow,  the mods are reading this forum??? :o

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines