April 20, 2024, 07:32:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connected Drumbrute to Ext Ins: too quiet  (Read 4481 times)

PelkerToffl

• Apprentice
Connected Drumbrute to Ext Ins: too quiet
« on: November 30, 2018, 11:22:22 am »
Hi there,

since yesterday I'm a proud owner of a Minibrute 2s  ;D
But here is a question: I have a Drumbrute Impact. When I connect it to the external ins (doesnt depend which one, both have the issue) of the patch bay it is very quiet. I have to pump up the volume of the drumbrutes volume out to maximum, but also in this setting  it is so quiet, that i can barely hear the Drumbrute when i push up the volume  of the Oscillators to more than 25%, because they are so massive. That means that I can only use the lower 25% of the OSC-Mixer when I want to hear some Drums or whatever external device like a cellphone. So its hardly possible to have very loud drums and just a little bit of Synth-Sound and hardly possible to mix the different Oscillators to different ratios, since I just can use the tiny 25%-range...  ::)

Is it wanted like that? Do I have to amplify the Drummachine with some hardware first? Or has the minibrute some technical issue?  ??? Or have I not checked all things? Or isnt it meant to wire a drummachine or cellphone etc. in the minibrute like that?

Thanks
PelkerToffl
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:33:08 pm by PelkerToffl »

ugerhard

• Apprentice
Re: Connected Drumbrute to Ext Ins: too quiet
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:09 pm »
Just for your information: I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same setup :). So it's not a problem with you MiniBrute 2S specifically.

PelkerToffl

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »
Ok, thanks for that information, so its most probably not abt. our minibrutes.
But how is it supposed to work then?

Matt Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:37:31 pm »
Hi,

The patchbay on the MiniBrute 2/2S use modular level which is way more hot than classic line level that your drumpact can output, hence the quiet sound. So you'll need something to boost your signals on the way in.

Regards,

Matthieu
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:40:26 pm by Matt Arturia »

PelkerToffl

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 08:05:33 pm »
Hi,

The patchbay on the MiniBrute 2/2S use modular level which is way more hot than classic line level that your drumpact can output, hence the quiet sound. So you'll need something to boost your signals on the way in.

Regards,

Matthieu

Ok, great, thanks. Do you have any suggestion on what i need to boost the signal? And to which volatage or current or whatever...?

Matt Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:44:28 am »
Hi,

If you have a modular case you could get someting like a Doepfer A-183-3. It's a simple amplifier with 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Or any VCAs that provides a boost in gain.

Matthieu

zedius

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:08 pm »
If one has no modular case and is using an external pre-amp is there any rule of thumb for feeding audio to the external in on the patchbay? Is it expecting something around 10vpp? And is there a maximum voltage that could damage it?

wentzelitis

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 07:06:24 pm »
this is my most disappointing thing about the minibrute 2s .  I absolutely love this machine. I sold my circuit mono station to get one and couldn't be more happy.  BUT i loved how I could connect my phone and bastl kastle directly into my mono station and not only get a usable signal, but have a shift function to amp the signal even more!

with the minibrute 2 s.. even the bastl kastle (which has a pretty hot signal) is wayyyyy too quiet to be usable through the external input.. i mean sure i could buy a dedicated preamp but having to spend a bunch more money just to use the ext slider on the minibrute 2 s??  the older brutes had proper ext inputs with volume control.   this is a weird feature to leave to only modular.. as it's a semi modular and more focused on the non modular aspects i would argue.. it should have included both inputs at best, and only a traditional line input at worst

can anything be done with a firmware upgrade in regards to boosting the signal  perhaps ?  a shift function to increase the ext in volume range ?  or just increase it in general? surely being able to keep the slider low for modular gear would be a better solution than not being able to turn it high enough for line gear
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:28:22 pm by wentzelitis »

wentzelitis

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 04:17:20 am »
Hi,

Regards,

Matthieu

so i tried connecting my behringer neutron via the modular patchbay output to the external input of the minibrute 2s today.. with the ext slider all the way up, and the neutron on max volume.. it's STILL too quiet. any ideas? the neutron blasts my speakers but through the minibrute ext in sounds like i'm listening through a wall or a pillow :(  . i have to turn the osc volumes to 1/10th and the minibrute volume to max to hear it properly

Ron H

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 10:43:36 pm »
Hi,

Regards,

Matthieu

so i tried connecting my behringer neutron via the modular patchbay output to the external input of the minibrute 2s today.. with the ext slider all the way up, and the neutron on max volume.. it's STILL too quiet. any ideas? the neutron blasts my speakers but through the minibrute ext in sounds like i'm listening through a wall or a pillow :(  . i have to turn the osc volumes to 1/10th and the minibrute volume to max to hear it properly

I think you'll have much better results if you connect the VCA out to the 2S ext in. The delay on the Neutron really zaps the volume level.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines