News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Knobs  (Read 10077 times)

minus_ego

• Apprentice
Knobs
« on: November 29, 2018, 06:53:36 pm »
Hey Arturia,

It would be great if you guys could offer a guy some advice on acquiring some custom knobs for the Brutes.  Some smaller ones that resemble the rotary encoder knobs on the master cutoff and matrix modulation amount perhaps?  Thanks.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Knobs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:00:22 pm »
The pots have 6mm D shafts so any knob with those specs will fit. The flat of the D is in line with the indicator on the knobs, as opposed to the more common variety where the flat is perpendicular to the indicator and usually on the opposite side - I have a hard time finding knobs with this configuration. Pull off a knob to see it:

Code: [Select]
Arturia D shaft and pointer relationship:

indicator =>  | 
shaft     =>  D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:11:50 pm by DrJustice »

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 05:06:22 pm »
Same here Dr. J.  I found these but they look terrible in my opinion.  I really like the ones with the chrome caps but as you said I can't find any with the proper configuration.

https://www.modologic.com/product/microbrute_knob_set

Processaurus

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:45:32 pm »
The pots have 6mm D shafts so any knob with those specs will fit. The flat of the D is in line with the indicator on the knobs, as opposed to the more common variety where the flat is perpendicular to the indicator and usually on the opposite side - I have a hard time finding knobs with this configuration. Pull off a knob to see it:

Code: [Select]
Arturia D shaft and pointer relationship:

indicator =>  | 
knob      =>  D

Quite right. The orientation of the "D" is unusual. I've thought about changing the knobs (mostly to use a variety of colors, to tell the knobs apart quicker), I think if I did it I would try to find a D shaped insert, to fill in the empty space on the shaft, and then just use regular 1/4" knobs with the set screw.

Small bear electronics, a guitar pedal parts store, has an outstanding collection of knobs. The guy sells so many he is able to get the factory to make custom knobs and do custom colors.

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/knobs-1/

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:16 pm »

Quite right. The orientation of the "D" is unusual. I've thought about changing the knobs (mostly to use a variety of colors, to tell the knobs apart quicker), I think if I did it I would try to find a D shaped insert, to fill in the empty space on the shaft, and then just use regular 1/4" knobs with the set screw.

Small bear electronics, a guitar pedal parts store, has an outstanding collection of knobs. The guy sells so many he is able to get the factory to make custom knobs and do custom colors.

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/knobs-1/

Nice find!   :o  Thanks. 

aWc

• Apprentice
    • aWc
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 03:18:34 am »
At first, I was sort of wondering: why change the knobs?. But then I just went to feel my MB's pots, and now I realize that the ridges on the sides of the knobs are kind of tough on the fingers! Funny that I did not pay attention to this before, even after spending hours tweaking patches!. And yes, different colors would definitely help visually. So well worth looking into this.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
Check out Frys.com for knobs, they have many.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:45:07 pm »
At first, I was sort of wondering: why change the knobs?. But then I just went to feel my MB's pots, and now I realize that the ridges on the sides of the knobs are kind of tough on the fingers! Funny that I did not pay attention to this before, even after spending hours tweaking patches!. And yes, different colors would definitely help visually. So well worth looking into this.

I kind of like the feel of them actually, for me, it's more the colors that I feel would really set the front panel off very nicely.  This isn't a knock on the designers.  I like the industrial gray look but a few different color accents would be nice.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:47:52 pm »
Check out Frys.com for knobs, they have many.

Thanks for the suggestion!

endreola

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 05:16:01 am »
Mouser Electronics is always a good source for electronics and parts https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Knobs-Dials/_/N-5g22/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:25:25 am by endreola »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 12:58:07 pm »
The world is full of knobs - the problem is the "6mm 90 degrees D-shaft" configuration. None of the suggested shops, apart from modologic in posting #3, carry any - they're as rare as hens teeth...

Other than that you can get such knobs for electric stoves - not quite the style we want :-)) More suitable ones, but still in the modologic style, can be found in some places like e.g. this and this. Elma has some, and a few others can be found. Beware that the sweep of the rounded part of the D-shaft can also vary. I'm sure there are more but it's not easy find them, even for people experienced in parts sourcing...  I've never seen any in the chrome-top style (classic synth knob) that minus_ego mentioned though.

endreola

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 08:38:42 am »
Oh right, 90 degree index marker offset, that is pretty uncommon. 

Not sure if you found a knob that meets all of your requirements but here's some colorful ones, albeit plastic not metal/aluminum.  Check out the 90 degree Super Knob line.  They provide knobs for several Arturia products; Beatstep Pro, DrumBrute, MicroBrute, MiniLab.
https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNGZ9OCU3wIVgchkCh2WoAN5EAkYDCABEgKGAfD_BwE

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:01:48 pm »
Great find!

turbo_kev

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 12:12:33 am »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:15:35 am by turbo_kev »
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

rens

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:32 pm »
Please let us know how you get on! If they fit and they’re the same quality as on the midi fighter twister I’m very interested.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines