April 24, 2024, 12:04:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Novation Circuit vs Volca Sample and Beats.  (Read 3085 times)

Dean111181

• Apprentice
Novation Circuit vs Volca Sample and Beats.
« on: November 29, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »
Just a quick one Troops, I've got a bit of a decision to make regarding whether to buy a Novation Circuit or two Volcas (Sample and Beats) to complement my BSP. At the moment I'm running my BSP through Ableton, but want to move away from the software-based set-up.

I mainly plan on writing Drum and Bass and occasionally Trance/Techno; I currently use an Akai APC Key 25 for melodies but as this hasn't got any midi output I'm resigned to using this only for Ableton.

My question is, what would be better to play both drums and melodies via my BSP? The reason I had thought about the two Volcas was so I could use the separate sequencers in the BSP to control/manipulate the Volcas, however now I am tempted to buy a Circuit as it seems a much more stable and higher-quality device. If I connect my BSP to a Circuit, would I be able to use more than one of the sequencers on the BSP at any one time?

Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question; two months ago I had a guitar and had no idea about any of this, I got an APC Key 25 as a gift and it's made a huge impact on the way I think of making music. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and again sorry if this is First Day of School issues!!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Novation Circuit vs Volca Sample and Beats.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:04:41 am »
[disclaimer: I just woke up and am an avid non-computer noise maker who's moved to modular pretty much but still uses the BSP as the master sequencer]

I own a Beats and a Circuit and find I don't use the Circuit to sequence anything but itself.  I'm lazily trying to sell the Circuit as I'm fairly nonplussed by it's internal sounds.  The sampled drums are not bad, but I really don't like having to run a piece of software to edit/change them.  I'd rather use a non-propriety audio edit to edit samples if I am to use a computer for that and then load samples via an SD card of some description, as I can with my Microgranny 2.

As far as programming the Circuit goes, it's melody sequencers are great fun and have a wonderful way to play the sequences as one-bar clips or a long 8 bar sequence.  I'm looking at getting a Novation SLmkIII to replace my Circuit so I can get the sequencer with the sounds.  Not that the sounds are not any good, they are straight out of the Nova and are wonderful, just I am not a preset sort of person and like to program a little deeper without using a computer to do so.

With regards to the Volca sample, if I was you, I'd really research that machine before you drop the cash on it.  It's very idiosyncratic and a lot of users find that once they move off of it's sequencer they start having troubles.  I don't own one but I'd not buy one either due to the way it runs when externally sequenced (and the manner in which samples are loaded to it).

The BSP is my main sequencer.  I love running drums on for a start.  Setting up a drum map does require a computer, but once you to that it's all on the machine.  Running the Volca Beats with it makes the Beats way more versatile than running the Beats on it's internal sequencer.  Beats' sequencer is fun and novel, though can be limiting as it's only an 8 step sequencer.  The BSP opens that up and by setting up a controller map on the BSP to control the Beats' MIDI parameter give you a bit more usability than the tiny little Volca miniknobs.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

CRGxxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:05:24 am »
Hi

I have a circuit and I love it, The circuit has been 100% responsible for getting me back into making noise and the inspiration to  collect other hardware over last couple of years including the Beatstep Pro.

I have been close to selling my circuit a few times but then I realise and remind myself why I bought it in the first place which was to have something handy to play with on your lap and easy to carry around in your bag and actually use.  It's dead simple to infinitely change the internal synth patches and drum samples but of course you do need to use a computer every now and again to do this.
It's even possible to assign another midi controller like a launchcontrol to edit the circuits synths etc. Takes abit of setting up but once done you can access the full power of the synths without the computer editor.
Basically the circuit is surprisingly deep... sort of as deep as you want really.

One of the reasons I was considering selling the circuit was because I thought for a bit I didnt like the synths that much and started using them less since acquiring other boxes. Mainly I struggled to get really fat warm analogue style bass from it. Then I realised I was asking too much & its dirty very digital nova synths have charm of their own.

Since discovering how great the Circuit is as a sequencer though I am so glad I didnt get rid. It compliments the Beatstep Pro and other kit brilliantly as it makes a superb polyphonic sequencer.
Now I often start something on the circuit and when I get home replace the bass with one of my mono synths running on the Beatstep Pro. freeing up a spare channel on the circuit to sequence a polly synth like my Volca FM.
Perfect really as I dont have a keystep yet so the only way I could previously sequence anything poly-phonically was with a DAW.

I adore my Beatstep Pro, it's the centre of my setup and it will be brilliant with volca's. It's monophonic shortcomings used to annoy me but now I'm quite comfortable with them. 
The circuit has turned out to be such a versatile little box.... great on it's own and works well with others.

Have fun whatever you choose

Dean111181

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 11:05:40 am »
Thanks for the replies and advice Troops, decided on a Circuit and I absolutely love it; even before connecting to my BSP it seemed far beyond what I had expected of it, however once mapped to my BSP I've found the two together to be an absolute behemoth of a set-up, many thanks again for your assistance guys and hope you all have a brilliant New Year.

All the best from sunny Glasgow,

Dean.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines