March 19, 2024, 09:20:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Magic Mod3 "Heaving"  (Read 2862 times)

Amutimer

Magic Mod3 "Heaving"
« on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:16 pm »
Hail fellow Mod3 users!

What I have is not a problem, it is a request for understanding...

Before I got the Mod3 I bought several soft synths, and when I got them I thought they were amazing - but I could not quite get a certain quality of sound that I was looking for.
And then, one day, I was listening to a review of Analog Lab and I heard the Mod3 patch that is called "Gaw Bass". It was that sound - that one sound! - that made me buy the Mod3. No matter what I did with my other synthesisers I could get that special sound.

So, when I got Mod3 the first thing I did was I loaded up that patch I looked to see how it was put together - to see what made it so special...

At first I thought it was the superb reproduction of the low-pass, ladder filter, and so I went back to my other synths, found those that claimed to have a low pass, ladder filter and tried again to get that sound. But, no luck. I could get the "wow" sound, but there was something missing. What was missing is what I have come to call "heave".

I have found you will get that wonderful "heaving" sound using the Gaw bass patch if you make a midi note and then overlap another midi note either above or below it, say by a tone. If you do this the Mod3 will "heave". This is not just a "glide" or a portamento; I have plenty of other synths that have that capability. In the case of the Mod3 there is something more going on. Is it just a special implementation of portamento I cannot find anywhere else? What is that special something the Mod3 is doing when it "heaves" from one note to the next? Why is it there on this synth and not there on any other synth I own? To me, that heaving is the magic, which when added to the ladder filter, makes the Moog SING. What is it, and why is it so elusive? 

Thanks Ahead to anyone who knows the answer

LBH

Re: Magic Mod3 "Heaving"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:35:42 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

The Chorus and/or the Envelope modulation of the filter.
Try to switch off the chorus, and/or remove the Envelope modulation.

Beside this then Arturias synths and effects do has their own sound and also their own analog emulation (TAE). Even when doing the same in other synth, you don't have to get the same excact sound.

gphantom

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:58:05 pm »
I don't know if the low pass filters on other synths are the same as that of the Modular V but the Mod has two low pass filters, the 18db filter and the standard 9db filter.  Most synths have the 9 but Bob Moog was the one that used an 18db for the Modular system.  Could be that, could be the chorus or the Envelope to the filter control.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:12:49 pm »
Modular V use different 24 dB/octave and 12 dB/octave filters.
The low-pass 24 dB/octave filter is typical of Bob Moog’s synthesizers.

Beside that Modualar V has Formant and Bode Shifter.

gphantom

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 02:09:16 am »
My mistake.  Old age.  Can't remember those specifics but, at least, I was on the right track and only a few dbs off.
Of course, the actual Modular didn't have those nice additions like the bode and formant.  Wonder what Keith would have done with those.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines