March 29, 2024, 06:06:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minimum Windows Tablet to run V Collection 6?  (Read 2184 times)

elliot

• Apprentice
Minimum Windows Tablet to run V Collection 6?
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:13 pm »
I would like to run V-Collection in live performances, but with a minimum of hardware, i.e one MIDI keyboard and a Windows device.  I'm looking for the smallest practical Windows-based tablet that will still run it. I have seen some references to people using Microsoft Surface tablets to run the software. I wonder what the the actual minimum practical requirements for a Windows-based system. I know what Arturia says about minimum clock speed, but that isn't really a thing, given today's processor performance at low clock speeds (1.5GHz, for example). It also says it requires a GPU, but the Surface doesn't have one. So, will it run on an Atom processor with no GPU? There are $150 Windows tablets out there, for example. Thanks!

LBH

Re: Minimum Windows Tablet to run V Collection 6?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.
I know what Arturia says about minimum clock speed, but that isn't really a thing, given today's processor performance at low clock speeds (1.5GHz, for example).
Why excactly is'nt that a thing? How do you know that?

It also says it requires a GPU, but the Surface doesn't have one.
It at least have a GPU on the CPU. How to show anything without some sort of graphics?

In generel i would not recommend any cheap low spec tablets - especially not for Live performances.

A Surface Pro can be quite powerful depending on it's specs. It can have specs that is much better than the minimum requirements for V-Collection. And remember that minimum requirements is for the use of a single application and perhaps in a moderat way. It can also be quite exspensive.
But still it might not be good enough, for what you wan't to do Live. What do you wan't to be able to do - like how many running applications, how many sounds and notes playing at the same time and so on.....?

I think it's good if you study how things works, and try things out. Have you tried music software on any computer, to get a feeling of what you need?

Cheers

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:40:23 pm by LBH »

elliot

• Apprentice
Re: Minimum Windows Tablet to run V Collection 6?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:41:36 am »
Thanks for your response.

Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.
I know what Arturia says about minimum clock speed, but that isn't really a thing, given today's processor performance at low clock speeds (1.5GHz, for example).
Why excactly is'nt that a thing? How do you know that?

Well, I design computers for a living. Clock speed is less of a measure of processor performance than "instructons per cycle (IPC)". Clock speeds stopped increasing 20 years ago. Clock speeds have decreased to save power and increase battery life, and yet computers continue to get faster. Therefore, setting a processor performance requirement based on GHz no longer makes sense.

It also says it requires a GPU, but the Surface doesn't have one.
It at least have a GPU on the CPU. How to show anything without some sort of graphics?

A GPU is a dedicated processor to offload graphics processing from the main processor. You don't need a GPU to display graphics. All processors can display graphics. Dedicated GPUs can display them faster as in for games. For the synth emulation software, the graphics is not changing, so processing power is not required. UNLESS, as in some software packages like Photoshop, the GPU is re-purposed as an add-on processor to do fast floating point operations.

This is why I ask.

In generel i would not recommend any cheap low spec tablets - especially not for Live performances.

A Surface Pro can be quite powerful depending on it's specs. It can have specs that is much better than the minimum requirements for V-Collection. And remember that minimum requirements is for the use of a single application and perhaps in a moderat way. It can also be quite exspensive.
But still it might not be good enough, for what you wan't to do Live. What do you wan't to be able to do - like how many running applications, how many sounds and notes playing at the same time and so on.....?

I get this. There are some comments here and on the internet about people having success using the Surface as well as other tablets. I'm asking about the actual practical minimum requirement. I could just go out a buy a Windows tablet as see how it goes. Today's Atom processor is pretty fast compared to a few years ago. I'm hoping that someone reads this that has actually tried this.

I think it's good if you study how things works, and try things out. Have you tried music software on any computer, to get a feeling of what you need?

Yes, on a fast Intel Haswell quad-core. But it uses very little CPU. So now I'm wondering how small can I go. I do know how the software works, and I have established that I know how the hardware works. But I have no way to know that low-end requirement.

Cheers

And to you. Thanks.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines