March 29, 2024, 03:08:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: V collection upgrade uninstall older(V2)  (Read 3802 times)

G33

• Apprentice
V collection upgrade uninstall older(V2)
« on: November 18, 2018, 02:34:56 pm »
I've recently purchased the new version of V collection need advice on how to uninstall V2 from my current OS (Mountain Lion) which I do most of my work in I know i need to now use ASC process for authorization. A friend suggested a complete uninstall of the V collection 2 which I was having a multitude of issues with (occasional crashes of 2600 and CS80  and Moog modular rarely working for more than a minute or two.) is the process the same as the Version 4 uninstall?
or are there additional files to delete.                                               
Side Note: I have a second partition running Yosemite which I'll also do a more complete installation on.
I think I can use the legacy installers to work in Mountain Lion (V4 or v5)?  PS the original installation was on the original HD which I replaced with a new SSD last year. I hope also to copy patches from the old drive into the new install.
Thanks In advance for your assistance!
GM.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:45:10 pm by G33 »

LBH

Re: V collection upgrade uninstall older(V2)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:30:04 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

If you can use the preset updater/converter to update presets from V-Collection 2 (VC2) to V-Collection 6 (VC6) (i think you can), then you shall install the new VC6 first and run the preset upgrader/ converter, before you uninstall VC2, as the preset updater updates the presets you can find inside your old applications (not banks you have eksported), and you can't import your old VC2 banks to VC6. The preset updater only update user presets.
Keep in mind that some presets will not sound the same in VC6 as in VC2.

Also keep in mind, that you can have both VC2 and VC6 installed alongside eachother, and that might be a good thing. But perhaps a uninstall and reinstall of VC2 will be good after you have done the above, to see if it helps with the issues you have had. Your old VC2 will still need to be activated by eLicenser unless you have an option to update them to VC4 version, and wish to do that or has too to use the preset converter/ updater.

Here are info about the preset updater/ converter:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/vc5presetupdater/preset-converter-general-questions

The preset updater can be downloaded from here:
https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals
Read the text in the applications windows, when you run the preset updater.

I believe you can use the same uninstall procedure for VC2 as for VC4 like you can see here:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/installation/uninstall-remove-a-software
(I'm on windows so not familiar with MAC.)

Hope this helps.

G33

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:07 am »
Thanks so much for all the information..Not familiar with the preset updater.. Does it just copy and convert the patch for use with the current software (V6)?

GM

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:51:08 pm »
Your welcome.

The preset updater copy and converts presets from folders used in your old V-collections applications to folders used by the new V-Collection applications.
The reason is the applications has been getting a new powerful preset browser system, so the formats from the old applications no longer can be used in the new applications.
And because you will still have all files for both applications, then you can use them side by side, if you wish.

There are informations in the links i posted, and when you run the preset updater/ converter.

It's especially Mini V sounds that will sound different as the filter have been redone, when you update presets.

G33

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 07:04:40 pm »
So helpful thank you, one last question. Since I'm running both Mountain Lion and Yosemite on separate partitions does it make sense to install the latest version of each plugin even on both OS's or should I install the previous update for 10.8? the thinking is if there's a minor bug fix that really isn't related to my setup (I.E. a fix for Cubase or Live which I do not use) It will be easier to copy patches If i'm using the same release on both partitions. DO upgrades listed for 10.8 work in 10.10..I have today off and I'm hoping to do all the installs today. Thanks again, Gary

LBH

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 08:09:02 pm »
I can't say anything for certain about OS's and partitions.

I use Windows, and often you can run very old applications on the latest Windows version. But yes at some point discontinuet applications perhaps will not work anymore.

I don't know much about MAC. But i think Apple often are doing things with the OS, so old applications no longer work on that OS. If it's a discontinuet product, that's not being updated anymore, then the product can't be used on that OS.
If you can run all your applications on the newest OS, and that OS will not be changed in a way where your discontinuet applications can't be used like you wan't to, then i see no reason to use multiple OS's.
In generel i'm not a fan of partitions. I would rather use multiple disks - or computers. But yes there can be circumstances where a pertition might be the best solution.
I have no reason to use multiple OS's if things work on the one i have and use. For security reasons updating OS can be important, especially as software often need internet connection to authorize. But yes there might be circumstances where multiple OS's can be useful.

If you use a DAW, then at some point you can get the same issue, if you update your DAW. It's the same for other applications.

What you wan't to do or need to do, i can't tell. The main thing is, it (if possible)  work for you, whatever you choose to do.
Perhaps some who are exsperienced with Apple update policies during time, and about using multiple OS's and partions on Apple computers, can give you more informations, if you need it. I suggest you ask in Apple forums about that.

G33

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 08:26:04 pm »
Great thanks for the info I'll check the Apple forum as well. I created the new OS to accommodate some plug-ins I've recently purchased that are only functional in OS 10.10 and above I'm Using Pro tools 11.3  and Logic 9. My laptop is a 2010 MBP so there's limited resources (ram).
  Best of luck to you and the rest of the Arturia community.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines