March 29, 2024, 10:09:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SPDIF input doesn't seem to work  (Read 3814 times)

mike_mcroberts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
SPDIF input doesn't seem to work
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:56:39 pm »
I'm trying to record some music from a DAT recorder through the Audiofuse into DAW software (it doesn't matter which DAW, I tried several). I have connected the coax output of the DAW to the coax input of the AudioFuse, selected SPDIF coax input in the control panel, and I get nothing. Nothing is displayed in the Direct Monitoring and nothing is routed to the DAW. So, I switched to the optical output of the DAT recorder and connected that to the ADAT/SPDIF Optical input on the AudioFuse. I selected SPDIF Optical as the input on the control panel. Once again, I get nothing. Again, Direct monitoring shows nothing, and the same with the DAW software. I switched cables and got the same result. I am using cables designed for SPDIF. But I also tried just a regular RCA cable, and one again nothing. I have a hardware DAW (Tascam SX-1) with SPDIF inputs. I plugged the DAT into it, and it works fine. Can you think of what I'm doing wrong with the AudioFuse? Thanks.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: SPDIF input doesn't seem to work
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:42:10 pm »
Hi what sample frequency do you have the Af set to as its got to be the same as the dat player ie 44;1khz.   on the afcc are the Spdif levels up.

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

mike_mcroberts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:16:56 am »
44.1 kHz and the SPDIF levels are up full in the Direct Monitor.
As a workaround, I recorded them via SPDIF into my hardware DAW and sent them to the Audiofuse via ADAT optical, and that worked (and they showed their level in the Direct Monitor). But I'm getting nothing from SPDIF input. T
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:20:05 am by mike_mcroberts »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:47:02 pm »
Hi mike_mcroberts.

some questions here  :

on the " I have connected the coax output of the DAW to the coax input of the AudioFuse, selected SPDIF coax input in the control panel, and I get nothing. Nothing is displayed in the Direct Monitoring" step, at this time, what was the position of the direct/monitor wheel on the AudioFuse? If wheel is fully on direct, and "main" "cue1" "cue2" buttons are activated in mix routing section of the AudioFuse Control Center, you'll be able to see the signal in ouput level section, and also in direct monitoring section. At this time, if you plug headphones on your audiofuse, you should hear your signal too.

If wheel is fully on computer, you'll only see the signal in direct monitoring section, and won't be able to hear it at all.

Regarding the usage in a DAW here is what i would do after ensuring that spdif signal from master device is reaching the AudioFuse:
Open an Audio Track
Set input of this Audio Track to input 7(which corresponds to SPDIF stereo for the AudioFuse)
Activate monitoring for this track if you want to listen before recording.

Also, sorry if this one may be dumb (no offense i hope), did you ensure to really have the spdif out of your DAT plugged into the AudioFuse Spdif coax In?
Saying this because in the past, some plugging issues have been solved, just by asking dumb-looking questions.

One last thing, as terrym said (Hi Terry! :) )both devices need to be set at the same sample rate.

Hope this will help a bit,
looking forward to read you.
Best regards,

mike_mcroberts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:06:43 pm »
what was the position of the direct/monitor wheel on the AudioFuse? If wheel is fully on direct, and "main" "cue1" "cue2" buttons are activated in mix routing section of the AudioFuse Control Center, you'll be able to see the signal in ouput level section, and also in direct monitoring section. At this time, if you plug headphones on your audiofuse, you should hear your signal too.
 The direct/monitor wheel was in the center, but I have tried it at fully direct too. The main, cue1 and cue buttons are activated. I see no signal in te meters and I hear nothing in the headphones.

did you ensure to really have the spdif out of your DAT plugged into the AudioFuse Spdif coax In?
Yes. See the picture. And as I said in the original post, I tried the optical connection as well. I know the SPDIF output of the DAT recorder works and that the cable is good because they worked successfully with my hardware DAW.

Regarding the usage in a DAW here is what i would do after ensuring that spdif signal from master device is reaching the AudioFuse:
Open an Audio Track
Set input of this Audio Track to input 7(which corresponds to SPDIF stereo for the AudioFuse)
Activate monitoring for this track if you want to listen before recording.

I did all this, Input 7 is selected. But SPDIF is not reaching the AudioFuse.

Enclosed is the SPDIF connection and control panel setup.

mike_mcroberts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
For some reason the SPDIF connection picture wouldn't go. Here it is.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 10:00:54 am »
Hi mike_mcroberts
thanks for having uploaded screenshots, I think i found the key!
Looking at your AudioFuse Control Center settings, on left area where you have the clocks and digital I/O sections, i see that your AudioFuse is running at a 44100 hz sample rate, but sees an external clock running at 48000 hz sample rate. This 48000hz is the sample rate of your DAT.
So, as TerryM and me already said, The AudioFuse and your DAT simply can't communicate if both devices are not running at the same sample rate.
So you just need to set your AudioFuse Sample Rate to 48000hz, or you can set your DAT sample rate at 44100 if possible.
For perfect synchronization, as your AudioFuse will receive your DAT signal in order to record it after this in your favorite DAW, i highly recommend that you set "clock source" parameter on "external" in your AFCC.

From there, everything should be fine.
Hope it helps,

Best regards,

mike_mcroberts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 06:14:14 pm »
That has partially solved it. Every time I select 48 kHz with either internal clock or external clock, the sample rate immediately jumps back to 44.1 kHz. But, now the digital audio is coming through via SPDIF. See the enclosed picture. The sample rate is set at 44.1 kHz, but it is externally locked to 48 kHz and audio is passing to the AudioFuse.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:00:28 am »
Hi mike-mcroberts,
thanks for this last information.
I think you're using a windows computer, right?
If so, i also think that you have already a DAW or another audio Application, which is already  running at 44100hz.
This explains why even if you set the AudioFuse clock at 48khz, to match with your DAT, your windows system forces the AudioFuse to "stay" at an already running 44100hz application. This behavior only happens on windows systems.
I'll suggest then to align everything at the same samplerate. So if you don't or can't change your 48000hz Sample Rate from your DAT, to secure things you'll have to set your windows sample rate(in playback devices panel) at 48000, and also your DAW project.
Everything should run smoothly then.

cheers,

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:57:30 am by Germain.arturia »

mike_mcroberts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 11:17:57 pm »
Thanks.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 07:44:00 pm »
We got there in the end :)
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

johnjonez

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 08:20:11 am »
I tried everything you guys mentioned here. I can see SPDIF metering within the control panel. I can even see it in DAW(PreSonus Studio 5)...cant hear anything.  Been tinkering with this for 2 weeks. I have the Roland Boss BR1180(digital workstation) with digital optic out----into the Audiofuse--- Song playing------no sound. Help. Thanks.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 09:04:19 am »
Hi.  Maybe obvious but do you have both units on the same frequency setting.   Also the SPDiF is only. A dual channel Not multi.   

TerryM

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines