April 16, 2024, 08:36:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to set NRPN parameter number?  (Read 2199 times)

robotecho

• Apprentice
How to set NRPN parameter number?
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:25 am »
I am trying to create a template for a Matrix 1000 that uses NRPN for control.

I can see how to switch the encoder mode to NRPN and enter the LSB and the MSB, but how do I select which parameter is being controlled? Shouldn't there be a setting for parameter number?

Am I going crazy or something?

Edit: So I worked it out, here's the lowdown for the thousands of Matrix 1000 owners who want to use a Keylab. LSB sets the parameter number, and MSB sets the range. The faders work beautifully for cutoff freq, the encoders are more fiddly.

The encoders jump values when sending NRPN, while the encoders sending midi CC are smooth. Is there a known reason for this? If the encoders worked like the faders in NRPN this thing would be a dream.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:40:32 am by robotecho »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: How to set NRPN parameter number?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 09:59:37 am »
Hi Robotecho,
in fact, when using rpn/nrpn mode for the encoders, a custom non-modifiable acceleration parameter is set. As you maybe noticed, the data transmission will "follow" the quickness used for turning an encoder. Of course when using it for faders, it works better, as you just said, because faders have by nature a mechanical range, and no custom acceleration is considered here.
Then, maybe the "border" between slow and fast moves interpretation for encoders could be improved.
I'll log this in our database, but i can"t guarantee that it will be considered on a future firmware update.

Best regards,

robotecho

• Apprentice
Re: How to set NRPN parameter number?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:12 am »
Thanks for the reply Germain, I only just read it. I actually logged a support ticket for this issue which is currently still open.

I'm not sure I see the reason for the custom acceleration parameter, it makes it impractical to use in practice.

Ultimately it is not a deal breaker for me, the faders are super smooth and work really well, and with the bank system I can use them exclusively if I need to.

I'll wait and see if this issue gets addressed, if the encoders responded to NRPN just like midi CC this would be an unbeatable controller for the Matrix 1000, and I'm sure other vintage gear as well.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines