March 28, 2024, 02:09:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transpose a Section of a Sequence  (Read 2624 times)

cobrien80

Transpose a Section of a Sequence
« on: November 12, 2018, 07:25:26 pm »
Is it possible to transpose just a section of a sequence, say steps 17-32 without affecting 1-16?  I'd like to quickly extend a sequence and then transpose a part of it without twisting all the knobs and leave the rest of its steps alone.  Is there a quick way to do this?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:41:43 pm by cobrien80 »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Transpose a Section of a Sequence
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:18:35 am »
Is it possible to transpose just a section of a sequence, say steps 17-32 without affecting 1-16?  I'd like to quickly extend a sequence and then transpose a part of it without twisting all the knobs and leave the rest of its steps alone.  Is there a quick way to do this?

You could do it by sending a note to the BSP via another sequencer on it's MIDI channel.  If you use a looping sequencer like the BSP to feed it the transpose note, then make that sequence the same length as the one on the BSP.  Or don't make it the same length and have round robin effect on the transposition.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

cobrien80

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:34:37 am »
Thanks for the response.  I'm new to the BSP/midi protocols  so I'm not sure I'm totally following your suggestion.  The only other sequencers I have are the sq1 and the keystep. I have the key step connected so I can transpose notes with one touch on the fly, but I was hoping to quickly write a bass pattern on C shift >> my way into doubling it on the next 16 steps and then just instantly make that portion on a F and have it saved that way. So I have a new patter with C for 16 steps and F for 16 without having to trigger it via the keystep.  Is that possible?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:42:41 am »
You can program long notes quickly on the BSP by pressing and holding the first step button of the note, say step 1, then hit the note you wish to extend followed by the last step button of the note, which would be step 16 for a full 16 step length.  In practice, to do what you want to do you would program the first 16 steps with your root note then switch to the second 16 steps and hit the note you want to follow.  It's not really transposing the sequence though, more quickly programming two long notes into a 32 step sequence.

If you set your SQ-1 as the master clock (internal mode) and MIDI channel 1 (if seq 1 on the BSP is also channel 1) and your BSP to MIDI sync, the SQ-1 will then send it's notes to the BSP and transpose SEQ1 according to the pattern it's playing.  Set up your two sequencers in this fashion then press go on the SQ-1 then have a twirl.

As the SQ-1 is only a 16 step max sequencer, you won't really be able to transpose a section of your BSP sequence due to that length restriction so maybe try the Keystep?  Do the same thing regarding making the Keystep the master and setting it to channel 1, then program 16 steps of middle C followed by 16 step of a note the same interval from middle C as that you wish to transpose the sequence by.  As you can do the full 64 steps with the Keystep as well as vary the step speed division, you'll have way more success.  Again, plug them together via MIDI and have a go and see what happens!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

mrvinyl

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:52:44 am »
I think what is being asked here: Is there a quick way to change the note value of a bunch of steps rather than having to go through and manually dial in what pitch is required on every step. Surely there is a way to do this?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 06:25:54 am »
I think what is being asked here: Is there a quick way to change the note value of a bunch of steps rather than having to go through and manually dial in what pitch is required on every step. Surely there is a way to do this?

Yes that is what is being asked and no it can't be done, thus my long involved solution using a second sequencer.  But hey, you can be really creative using a second sequencer, a controller keyboard and running them all into the BSP!

I didn't want to post a "no you can't do that" reply, as that's just being a downer and not trying to make things that can enhance live performances happen.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines