March 29, 2024, 02:38:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Looped Envelopes!  (Read 2557 times)

Lunatic Sound

Looped Envelopes!
« on: November 04, 2018, 12:42:17 am »
I just found this:

https://youtu.be/wxv8xURR0Ik

Would you like me to explain, or is this obvious to everyone but me?  ;D

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
Re: Looped Envelopes!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:56:19 am »
Please explain step-by-step. He's using patch cables, apparently. I'm obviously too thick to understand.  :-[
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 02:10:18 am »
Dayum, those vertically oriented videos almost make me nauseous... It's a crime against humanity!  :P 

Yes, I'd like that explained... If not, there's a spoiler below.

[spoiler (select text to show)]
Note the patch lead going from the VCO 2 Ultra Out jack to the external Input jack, and the mod matrix assignment of ENV 1 to VCO 2 Ultra...

- Start with an init patch
- Set the Audio Gate switch to On, set the Input Type to Inst. and set the Gain to max
- Assign ENV 1 to VCO 2 Ultra in the mod matrix with a Mod Amount of e.g. -99.
- Assign ENV 1 to VCO 1 Pitch in the mod matrix with a Mod Amount of e.g. +50 (to get a clear audible effect)
- Set ENV 1 Attack, Decay and Sustain to half
- Switch on Key Hold

Now play a key. You may have to tweak things to get the looping going properly. You can even get a loop of sorts going without switching on Key Hold, and you can also get looping by patching from VCO 2 Ultra Out to Gate In

Of course this method is pretty much unusable as it's not really envelope looping, but envelope re-triggering by way of contrived trickery. Also all envelopes "loop" the same. I'd rather use the sequencer or arpeggiator for repeated triggering as such.

[/spoiler]

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:45 am »
Oh, shame on me, I quickly filmed with my phone and uploaded it without checking  :-[ Sorry for doing humanity such harm, albeit I am not sure if we deserve better...

Well, obviously Dr. Justice would figure it out in a heartbeat, haha. It was VCO1 Ultra, which had a cable inserted as well, and I am not sure why you would set it to -99, it is positive in my case and starts working at +69... But still, yes, the main point was to make the Envelope loopable by routing its Voltage to the Gate Input, which gets triggered whenever the Envelope hits max voltage. I find it quite different than retriggering with the sequencer, though, because we cannot become faster than the sequencer itself then, right?

Of course, all Envelopes will get triggered together, and there is some limitations, but it is still playable, as in musically, I guess.

I was just amazed and felt the need to post this as a riddle, because I had forgotten about the patch cable from VCO1 Ultra to Gate In already and thought I had somehow unlocked the secret to looping envelopes for a moment.

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 02:25:01 am »
You could also modulate the intensity of the Envelopes effect on the Gate via a Macro knob and thus activate and deactivate the cheated looping.

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 02:34:01 am »
It glitches out at very high ratios, though...

Maybe its not that usable after all :D

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 02:38:53 am »
Oh, shame on me, I quickly filmed with my phone and uploaded it without checking  :-[ Sorry for doing humanity such harm, albeit I am not sure if we deserve better...
Hehe, don't worry - I survived  :D

It was VCO1 Ultra, which had a cable inserted as well, and I am not sure why you would set it to -99, it is positive in my case and starts working at +69...
Ah, didn't spot the VCO 1 Ultra cable. I saw the other one (it would've been red at one end and black at the other, though... so I should've sussed that...) and the VCO 2 Ultra mod matrix assignment, so I used that in the example. The -99 Mod Amount was simply because I got the first re-triggering going there. Other values work too, as you say. One may lose the looping at some Attack, Decay, Sustain values (as seem to happenin the video too), so some care is needed to keep it going.

But still, yes, the main point was to make the Envelope loopable by routing its Voltage to the Gate Input, which gets triggered whenever the Envelope hits max voltage. I find it quite different than retriggering with the sequencer, though, because we cannot become faster than the sequencer itself then, right?

Of course, all Envelopes will get triggered together, and there is some limitations, but it is still playable, as in musically, I guess.

I was just amazed and felt the need to post this as a riddle, because I had forgotten about the patch cable from VCO1 Ultra to Gate In already and thought I had somehow unlocked the secret to looping envelopes for a moment.

I thought it was a fun and clever riddle - it's always cool to see some MxB magic 8) And you're right about the rate limitation the sequencer would give - good point.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:05:50 pm »
Just tried this last night, great discovery gentlemen.  I also tried using LFO 3 as the modulation source which added some interesting effects.  Right now it seems a bit limited in use but it is a very neat tool to have in the arsenal.  Keep up the good work! 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines