March 28, 2024, 10:18:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Reamping... of sorts.  (Read 1472 times)

CricketMonster

• Apprentice
Reamping... of sorts.
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:45:21 am »
Hi there - hoping to clear something up in my my little brain.  I've been thinking of doing some reamping, sending my pre-recorded audio out of my DAW via the outputs on my UAD Apollo.  I was going to buy something like the Radial Reamp box to convert the signal into some guitar pedals and then back out to my Apollo and into my DAW.

However, I'm sure I could miss out the reamp box and use the Brute to convert the audio into the right signal level.  I just can't think in my head where the guitar pedals would go in the chain.  Or perhaps I'm completely wrong with this idea?

Anybody done something similar?  I'm trying to save myself from spending money and I'd prefer to use the Brute.

Thanks.

Lunatic Sound

Re: Reamping... of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:21:55 am »
Hey, I am not sure, if I am getting you wrong, but have you tried just using a Y shaped *insert cable* in the insert jack to go directly from the MatrixBrute to your effects and back?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:24:14 am by Lunatic Sound »

CricketMonster

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:38:36 am »
Hi - I haven't... but I think you might be correct! :) I suppose I could still chain up several pedals also.  Umm, yes this should work I suppose.
Thanks.

Processaurus

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:27:29 pm »
Late to the game here, but you don’t need the matrixbrute or the reamp box to send stuff out of the computer into pedals. All you need to do is turn the level down on the audio interface output, so it doesn’t clip the input of the pedals.

You only need the reamp box if you are sending the output back through a long snake (to help with noise from long cable runs), or if you are using a vintage fuzz or wah pedal that expects to see a high impedance source (guitar with passive pickups).

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
Re: Re-amping... of sorts. Yes re-amp everything!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:47:16 pm »
Yes re-amp everything! BTW a re-amp box is not really for extending cable runs... use a DI box for that so that the signal becomes "balanced" before the long run down an XLR (for example).
The Radial re-amping box is to turn your line level into a "guitar" level so you can have the signal go to the amp with the correct impedance. For example I use a Radial Bones splitter to split the guitar signal (the bones is to keep the tone of the guitar), one to the guitar amp and one direct. That way you get to perform with the sound of the amp but get the option to "re-amp" later too. I do this with synths and other audio stuff.

For just getting a signal to the pedals just use an insert cable. (not re-amping).

Re-amping is great when you want a sound to work in the mix in particular way.

Try this on the MxB...
Use two oscillators. Both with a sine wave. Add a little resonance. Very slightly detune OSC2. Then use ENV3s attack to pitch bend OSC2 from -3 semitones up to 0 to glide up to the other oscillators pitch.
Send this signal to your re-amp box and plug the output into your guitar amp, add a load of drive and distortion.
Instant raw face melting authentic electric guitar.
The direct sound from the synth will sound really dull and boring. The mic'ed up sound from the amp will be huge. The output just from a distortion pedal will not be the same at all, the amping and mic placement makes a massive difference and lets the sound do its thing.
If you are combining the original sound with the re-amped sound then remember that you probably want to look at the phase of both and maybe move the re-amped sound ahead a few milliseconds until the phase locks (this is because of the distance from the cab to the mic). One way of doing this is to flip the phase of the re-amped signal then collapse the mix to mono and move the re-amped signal until you hear the level dip the most. Then flip it back. You will now have phase coherence and the sound will have more focus and bass. Trust me re-amping gives sounds a very musical and useful dimension. Do it once and you will be re-amping everything.
I hope this inspires others to experiment like this.
Marshall Stack Gabba kick drums anyone?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:50:37 pm by Chromat1c »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines