March 28, 2024, 11:21:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Cubase MatrixBrute MIDI Device  (Read 5433 times)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Cubase MatrixBrute MIDI Device
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:59:51 pm »
I've just completed a Cubase Device for the MatrixBrute. It's a "full" device, meaning that it has both named patch selection and a remote/automation control panel.

There are 2 versions of the MIDI device:

Cubase_MatrixBrute_Device.xml
=> uses 14 bit CCs (Cubase may not be able to update the on screen panel control for 14 bit CCs)

and

Cubase_MatrixBrute_7bit_Device.xml
=> uses 7 bit CCs

You can install the device as follows:
- open the MIDI Device Manager
- click "Import Setup" and browse to wherever you stored the attached files and select "Cubase_MatrixBrute_Device.xml" or "Cubase_MatrixBrute_7bit_Device.xml"
- select "MatrixBrute" or "MatrixBrute7b" from the import dialogue and click "OK"
- select "MatrixBrute" (or the MIDI port it is connected to) in the "output" menu in the MIDI Device Manager window.

The design includes some unused screen area and several dummy buttons. This is done to aid visual familiarity and navigation, and to have placeholders if more controls (buttons) become available for remote control in future firmware updates.

I can't guarantee that it's error free, so if you find any issues please let me know so I can update the device definition.

A screenshot of the panel and the device definition is attached.

In the track inspector you can select the device, change presets by name (row/column) and open the panel, as shown in the attached screenshot.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:45:30 am by DrJustice »

Neosynth

• Apprentice
Re: Cubase MatrixBrute MIDI Device
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:37:45 pm »
Oh, my God! :o What a great job! Cubase users can be very happy and grateful with your great contribution!

I have tested your configuration in my MB with my cubase Pro 9... I am writing you privately to fine-tune the project.

Thank you very much for your work, effort and time.

A big greeting

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:46:01 pm »
Hey that's nice and this is working great also on Cubase 8 !
Congratulations DrJustice ! ;)
.......testing.......

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:38:18 pm »
Thanks guys!

I think it should work on all recent versions of Cubase.

Neosynth found a slight issue, where the 14 bit controls does not update on screen in Cubase when the knobs on the syhth are moved. Reading on the net, that might be a Cubase omission/bug. In my Cubase 6.5 I don't get any on screen movement at all, so I can't really test that. It might be that my 6.5 can actually receive CC to update the panel, and it's just a user error on my part... - if anybody knows anything about enabling MIDI reception and/or on screen movement in panels on 6.6, I'd be grateful for some tips there.

To hopefully alleviate that problem, I've made a version of the device panel that uses only 7 bit CCs - it's on its way to Neosynth for testing before I put it up on the forum. Both the 14 bit and 7 bit version will be posted, then users can choose which one to use, and they can be imported to Cubase at the same time so you can swicth between them, depending on which of 14 bit resolution or on screen movement is most important.

Oh, and the Swing ang Gate knobs doesn't transmit MIDI CC at all - I'll file a ticket about that.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:05:51 pm »
Bump!

A new version of the MatrixBrute MIDI Devices is uploaded to the first posting.

This version includes two versions:

Cubase_MatrixBrute_Device.xml
=> uses 14 bit CCs (Cubase may not be able to update the on screen panel control for 14 bit CCs)

Cubase_MatrixBrute_7bit_Device.xml
=> uses 7 bit CCs

In the MIDI Device Manager, they have the names "MatrixBrute" and "MatrixBrute7b".

They have had the patch names changed from the format "Preset 1" to "Preset A 1" so that both the row and column can be seen at a glance in the track inspector. I also fixed a couple of typos on the panel.

Neosynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:00:01 pm »
Thank you Dr Justice! In Cubase Pro 9, I have tested it and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your work Dr Justice!

Great luck having you here!

A Greeting
Neosynth

sizzafitz

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 06:45:51 am »
It works in Nuendo 8.  Thanks, Dr. Justice! Great job. \oo/ ;D

Sizzafitz

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:47:51 pm »
Very cool, sizzafitz - thanks for testing!

Now tested on Cubase 6.5, 8 and 9.5 as well as Nuendo 8. It probably works fine with all recent versions of both DAWs.

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 02:39:53 am »
Dr Justice, I've just imported both the 7-bit and the 14-bit devices in Cubase Pro 9.5 and they're working well. The panels are responding to knob and slider movements on the MatrixBrute. Thanks for this.  :)
I'm looking forward to a more complete implementation in the near future.
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 02:55:42 am »
Good to hear, robst247, and thanks for testing. I'm afraid this is as much as can be done for now. If we get the buttons as CC destinations, I'll do an update to cover that, at least.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines