March 19, 2024, 08:05:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CMI Library is... odd  (Read 5269 times)

jisaac

CMI Library is... odd
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:35:01 am »
Hi all,
I'm playing through the presets on the CMI library and noticed two strange issues.

1. I'm playing on a Keylab 88. Many of the sounds have the Global Filter set to 1 (for example, "Meow"). The result is when changing to this sound, it's almost completely inaudible. But if I move the slider up, I hear the meow! It appears that for many presets, either the default is 1 or there's actually a value of 1 stored with the sound. Some sounds are fine, but many have the global filter set all the way down. I can't believe this is how the sounds are supposed to be presented, and that the objective is for each user to go through the sounds and tweak the Global Filter to where they can hear the sound and then save it. What's going on here?

2. Many of the sounds are pitched + or - A440, such that playing a C3 results in hearing an A, or an Eb, or an F for that particular patch. For example, Lowstr7 is pitched such that C = F. Now, this is an original sample from the factory disks. Perhaps the original samples did not stick to a consistent tuning scheme, and in the interest of authenticity, this is replicated into the presets. But it sure seems weird to have to transpose based on what sound you pick from the preset list.

Am I crazy here? Is anyone else experiencing this when playing through the CMI presets?

Thanks,
James

LBH

Re: CMI Library is... odd
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Many of the sounds Root key is misplaced to match the note you play.

The Global filter is a control modulator that modulate all the sound slots filters. Each slot have a filter of it's own in the CMI V application. You will not like to have the Global filter fully open by default on all sounds you create either.
Many of the sounds is created with this control set to no mudulation. Thus it's set to only modulate upwards according to the settings for the individual samples settings.

To me it look like the presets has been made too fast. Unfortunately they don't seem to be designed fully and been taking Global controls fully in consideration, as if so you would exspect some sounds to for example also have the possibility to both open and close filters using the Global filter control.
You can call it "odd". But that's how it is. It's not a technical issue as such. But in another way it is, as you in Analog Lab 3 can't change the samples Root Key as far as i know. You can transpose the sound, but it should'nt be needed. Arturia imho should fix this.

If you download the CMI Demo you can see that's how the sounds is programmed. And perhaps get an understanding of the avaible parameters in Analog Lab 3.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:53:33 pm by LBH »

jisaac

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:43:09 am »
Thanks for the info. I played the CMI library using a VST host app (Cantible) instead of the Analog Lab UI and did not have the same issues with volume / filter. That may have just been an aberrant application load. I guess I'll look at the upgrade from Analog Lab to the V Collection to gain access to the sound programming. May be an end-of-the-year present to myself :)

Thanks,
James

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:49:13 pm »
Yes it is very strange that a lot of the library is out of tune. It certainly isn't like that on a real CMI! On the other hand, Arturia have nailed the sound. This thing sounds big and beautiful. Once the bugs are ironed out, it'll be a superb tool.

aaron aardvark

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:07:07 pm »
I don't own CMI-V as of yet, but tried the demo.  I saw a video (not done by Arturia) someone posted showing it off, and the guy had to re-tune some of the patches.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 02:13:35 am »
Tempted by the $99 VC5 to VC6 upgrade and am wondering have the issues talked about here been fixed - the tuning for instance so I don't have to retune patches?
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines