March 29, 2024, 01:42:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Samples and resynthesis has been added.  (Read 8014 times)

LBH

Samples and resynthesis has been added.
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »
It's interesting the use of samples and resynthesis has been added.
This functionality has been a request in some threads in the forums.

Also the timeline have added functionality, that give more options in creating sounds - like looping.

Don't know how it works yet. Hope it's flawless. Look like a nice free update.

jackn2mpu

Re: Samples and resynthesis has been added.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:48:45 pm »
It's interesting the use of samples and resynthesis has been added.
This functionality has been a request in some threads in the forums.

Also the timeline have added functionality, that give more options in creating sounds - like looping.

Don't know how it works yet. Hope it's flawless. Look like a nice free update.
Been trying it and right now it seems clunky; the manual could do with more explanation. If you watch the almost 7 minute video on it they show a 'samples' category but there is no such category. Makes it difficult to know what patches are made with the samples.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

briaboy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:46:07 pm »
Agreed - where does one access the "Samples" category shown in the video? When I double-click on  a sample, it loads in the lower waveform bar but in the main synth area, the usual presets are shown. How does this work?! Thanks.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:20 pm »
Sorry but where excactly in which video can one in the main preset browser see a speciel category for presets using samples and/ or resynthesis or a category for which presets that are new?

@Brianboy - Selecting a sample in the SCR will not show anything in the preset browser. You can select multiple samples for each preset. Just like you can use harmonics in each partial.
It's the name for the preset and it's attributes, you can see in the main preset browser. It's possible to create your own attributes for the presets you save. Keep in mind that a preset that use samples and/ or resynthesis also can use harmonics.

Please have a look at this thread for some info about new presets: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93434.0#msg151729

Arturia could perhaps have created and used a Factory II attribute, and perhaps created and used a "Sample" and a "Resynthesis" attribute to use for the new presets.
Even just some info from Arturia about which presets that is new, would be nice.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »
Agreed - where does one access the "Samples" category shown in the video? When I double-click on  a sample, it loads in the lower waveform bar but in the main synth area, the usual presets are shown. How does this work?! Thanks.
There is no 'samples' category like there is the other categories. And us poor souls can't create our own categories. If you look at this thread https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93434.0 you'll see where I went through and figured out what patches use the samples. As I explained I only looked at the first partial except for one patch where the sample was used in the third partial. What I didn't post in that thread but I'll post it here is I created my own banks in the gui space where one can choose between the Factory patches and various end user created banks. I made banks corresponding to each category like one for leads, another for brass, etc. It's not as slick as what's in the video but it works for now until Arturia gets off the butts and fixes this damned thing. I made reference to this over on the DUC where I'm musicman691
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

jackn2mpu

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:34:12 pm »
Sorry but where excactly in which video can one in the main preset browser see a speciel category for presets using samples and/ or resynthesis or a category for which presets that are new?

@Brianboy - Selecting a sample in the SCR will not show anything in the preset browser. You can select multiple samples for each preset. Just like you can use harmonics in each partial.
It's the name for the preset and it's attributes, you can see in the main preset browser. It's possible to create your own attributes for the presets you save. Keep in mind that a preset that use samples and/ or resynthesis also can use harmonics.

Please have a look at this thread for some info about new presets: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93434.0#msg151729

Arturia could perhaps have created and used a Factory II attribute, and perhaps created and used a "Sample" and a "Resynthesis" attribute to use for the new presets.
Even just some info from Arturia about which presets that is new, would be nice.
The video being referenced is the longer one that's on the Synclavier 2 page. It's also on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbmBdn6p6c
Look at about 59 seconds in and you'll see he has a 'samples' category he picks from.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

jackn2mpu

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:37:24 pm »
I just noticed something - the time stamps on posts here are off by around 20 minutes. For instance I made my last post at closer to 2:54 US eastern time
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 08:49:18 pm »
I just noticed something - the time stamps on posts here are off by around 20 minutes. For instance I made my last post at closer to 2:54 US eastern time
Yes the time is'nt correct.

The video being referenced is the longer one that's on the Synclavier 2 page. It's also on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbmBdn6p6c
Look at about 59 seconds in and you'll see he has a 'samples' category he picks from.
That's not the preset browser. It's the sample browser.

The window shown in the video is in the SCR/ Engine (Former Timeline).
Under the timeline you just press the Sample flag, then the sample browser show up.

There is no 'samples' category like there is the other categories. And us poor souls can't create our own categories.
Yes you can.
For Banks and Types you can write in the textfield when you save a preset. And for Styles you can click on the + at the end of the styles and then write the new style.
But yes - You can't add new attributes to factory presets unless you resave them using " Save As".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:02:03 pm by LBH »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 09:17:22 pm »
Yes the time is'nt correct.

That's not the preset browser. It's the sample browser.

The window shown in the video is in the SCR/ Engine (Former Timeline).
Under the timeline you just press the Sample flag, then the sample browser show up.

There is no 'samples' category like there is the other categories. And us poor souls can't create our own categories.
Yes you can.
For Banks and Types you can write in the textfield when you save a preset. And for Styles you can click on the + at the end of the styles and then write the new style.
But yes - You can't add new attributes to factory presets unless you resave them using " Save As".
You are completely missing what I'm talking about. Look at the top of the gui - he's not picking from the samples browser but the main patches browser. The sample browser is lower in the gui. If you really pay attention to the video you'll see where he says something like 'let's play some patches that use samples to see what they sound like' and he has a category called 'samples' and he selects patches from that category.

And you still can't create your own category that you can filter by like comes from Arturia. You know the categories like 'bass', 'lead', etc.

What you talk about creating is nothing like what the presenter is talking about. If the presenter is doing something special then he needs to make that clear.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:00:56 pm »
You are completely missing what I'm talking about. Look at the top of the gui - he's not picking from the samples browser but the main patches browser. The sample browser is lower in the gui. If you really pay attention to the video you'll see where he says something like 'let's play some patches that use samples to see what they sound like' and he has a category called 'samples' and he selects patches from that category.
The presenter just say he will play some presets that use samples. And he change presets in the top panel. But he does'nt say anything about those presets has it's own category, and i still don't see such a category in the video either.

And you still can't create your own category that you can filter by like comes from Arturia. You know the categories like 'bass', 'lead', etc.
Yes you can do it for presets you save (for factory presets using "Save As"), just like i've explained.  I can. If you can't, then i don't know why.

What you talk about creating is nothing like what the presenter is talking about. If the presenter is doing something special then he needs to make that clear.
So the presenter should say something like "Arturia have not created any speciel categories like Sample and Resynthesis, but we have created a playlist or a bank (or whatever he have done) with presets using samples to step thru for the purpose to show you such presets"? Perhaps.
The fact is he only say it's presets using samples. He say nothing about any speciel category. How one understand that is another matter.

And what i talk about beside this is a help to do things.

LBH

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 11:13:11 pm »
Add-on to my posts.
I attach an image to show how i can create attributes. I just type in the fields.
For the  Style attribute first click the + and the end of the excisting styles , and then type.
I have typed "Resave", and "My relevant attribute name" in the text fields for Preset name, Author and all the attributes.

EDIT: I can add, that i find that this attribute making is a great and flexible  thing to be able to do.
And to me it look like Arturia might have made a mistake in the controlers, to perhaps have limited this by pre-selecting 9 certain categories on the controllers. (Sometimes it's not flexible and not simple or useful enough, when one try to do it too simple.)
But the categories you create is still availble in the applications. And perhaps there is a way to browse all categories on the controllers, but i can't check as i don't have one - at least not yet. I assume you can use the Center knob on the controllers, to do this. EDIT END
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:38:49 pm by LBH »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 01:50:10 am »
The presenter just say he will play some presets that use samples. And he change presets in the top panel. But he does'nt say anything about those presets has it's own category, and i still don't see such a category in the video either.

Yes you can do it for presets you save (for factory presets using "Save As"), just like i've explained.  I can. If you can't, then i don't know why.

So the presenter should say something like "Arturia have not created any speciel categories like Sample and Resynthesis, but we have created a playlist or a bank (or whatever he have done) with presets using samples to step thru for the purpose to show you such presets"? Perhaps.
The fact is he only say it's presets using samples. He say nothing about any speciel category. How one understand that is another matter.

And what i talk about beside this is a help to do things.
You're not really paying attention to what the presenter is doing. He clicks on the part of the gui with the three vertical and one leaning lines and then there's a dissolve to the next video frame where it shows a category called 'samples' and he proceeds to select patches from that category. Playlists or banks do not show their names in that top part of the gui. Like I said - pay attention to what happens as it's fairly quick. The presenter doesn't have to say there's a special category called 'sample' as he just uses it. Try watching the video on YouTube and slow the playback down and you'll see it easier although you shouldn't have to do that. I caught it right away.

And again what you are describing is different than what the video is showing. Creating banks of presets like you describe will not show their category in the upper part of the gui. I know because I have it here when I created user banks to hold the various patches that use samples. For instance I have a user bank called 'samples leads' that holds the lead patches that use samples. IN the Category are that would normally show 'leads' for patches that Arturia considers leads it shows 'filter' and the next window over shows the patch in use.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

jackn2mpu

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 02:10:28 am »
Here's a screenshot (somewhat messy) of the thing I'm talking about. Enlarge it and look at the upper left of the picture and you'll see the category 'samples"

musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 05:40:03 am »
Ok so it's not the preset browser category selection it self, that you have seen. And not the preset browser that open with the button with the lines, that you describe the mouse is over to select. The type name shown in the top panel is there for a long time in the video, and not only for a short moment like you have said.
So what you are saying now is, that you see a type in the toppanel. A thing you say we as users can't do. But like you can see in the attached image in this post we can. You' can see a MyType type i have created.

I can understand that one can think the sample type shown in the video will be in the application. I think i might did that a short while, when i first saw it in the video. And the presenter does'nt say it will be a factory category in the application. And what about a resynthesis type or whatever. That's not shown either.
The use of  the type can bein a work proces.  It can also be a mistake it's not there now. But i don't know for sure.
It could have been a thougt Arturia had to have such types. But the presenter does'nt say anything about categories. And there would'nt be any buttons on their new controllers for more factory types. But perhaps they had forgot that, and ended up removing the type.
But you also can't see that type in the preset browser shown in the video on Arturias website. So it's not getting any attention from Arturia, that there should be new types.

Anyway. The category is'nt there in the application we have. We agree that Arturia could have done something to at least have made it easier to see which presets is new, as that's the main thing.
That could also have included for example a sample and a resynthesis attribute of some kind, to show which sounds that include this. I've said that in the forums.

I hope we understand each other now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:02:47 am by LBH »

Arnaud_Arturia

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:03:18 am »
Hi all !

The "Sample'' category shown on this video is a category created when saving preset. He probably created it by saving some new presets inside to be faster in browsing new presets for the vidéo. When you do a "save as", you can enter new banks and after they appear in the list when you click on "ALL TYPES". And if you select a preset saved in this bank, you find the configuration like in the video.

However, I agree with you that we can do a special category with all the new presets inside, I'll report these request. ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines