March 29, 2024, 12:17:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SysEx anyone?  (Read 3799 times)

svmcwd

• https://steppenwolfvonmensch.bandcamp.com/
SysEx anyone?
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:25 pm »
Hi, how do I update the Impact via SysEx files?
Veganism rules.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: SysEx anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:27:06 pm »
Hi svmcvd,
sorry but firmware updates are only done using the MIDI CONTROL CENTER software.
i know that you (and other users) would like to get totally rid of software dependency.
But in case of SysEx files, correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't it need a computer to download these and transmit it to a device?

Cheers,

svmcwd

• https://steppenwolfvonmensch.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:12:48 pm »
Well, SysEx works on all systems. It's easy going and a method more manufacturers use for updates. Your software only works on a really very limited number of systems with one of the latest OS versions and causes a lot of extra hassle. SysEx would be strongly preferable, if you can make it happen please do. I mean, I'm still on OS X 10.9.5, and a number of others probably don't even use an OS popular enough to even code software for in your place. All the while SysEx can be used everywhere, on all OS versions. It'd be the least you could do in terms of customer friendly updates.
Veganism rules.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:18:27 am »
Hi svmcvd,
sorry but firmware updates are only done using the MIDI CONTROL CENTER software.
i know that you (and other users) would like to get totally rid of software dependency.
But in case of SysEx files, correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't it need a computer to download these and transmit it to a device?

Cheers,

You need a computing device with Internet connection capabilities to download the file, yes, but if you have a sequencer that can play sysex files, the computer is only needed to export the file to that device (be it via floppy disc in the case of 20th century sequencers or flash cards a hell of a lot of Roland gear from the 2000's).
It's much easier to use a computer and a MIDI interface for loading sysex files into an instrument, with pretty much every OS out there having some sort of MIDI tool available.  The difference doing that way compared to using MCC is that even an Atari ST with a MIDI break out (serial?) port on it can load a sysex file into a MIDI device.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines