March 28, 2024, 06:14:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Eurorack CVs into MB pedal inputs into mod matrix  (Read 1872 times)

yeskeys

• Apprentice
Eurorack CVs into MB pedal inputs into mod matrix
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:06:44 pm »
[EDIT: I just saw another post asking about this.  I'm gonna leave this up because the video mentioned is a must see for anyone who wants to push the MB capabilities closer to the edge.]

I'd like to route CV from my eurorack into the MB mod matrix, and the only way I can see to do it is to route into the expression pedal inputs.  Has anyone tried this?  Can these inputs handle negative voltages?

Apparently the MB is expecting around 3 volts max into these jacks.  I've got a euro attenuator (Invy) to scale down the output from Wogglebug, etc.

This video describes using a 1/4 inch TRS floating ring cable instead of just plugging directly from euro modules into the expression pedal inputs: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLuAXkBnIxo

Just not sure if he is being overly cautious and if it's ok to just run a direct cable (with a 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter of course).  Has anyone tried it? 
Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:10:56 pm by yeskeys »

Steve906

• Apprentice
Re: Eurorack CVs into MB pedal inputs into mod matrix
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:11:28 pm »
Hi,
The way I understood it was that the MB outputs 3.3v on the ring of the stereo connector. The normal expression pedal being just a passive pot with the 3.3v one end and ground the other, the return coming back to the tip from the center tap at somewhere between 0v and 3.3v.
Plugging in a mono 1/4 jack in would short the 3.3v to ground - so presumably not good. I would hope the output is in some way protected against this ?
Leave the ring of the stereo 1/4 jack unconnected and ensure no more than 3.3v is input to the tip connection and all should be fine.
I've not actually tried this so proceed with caution !!!!

Steve.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines