April 25, 2024, 10:23:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro bricked... ?  (Read 2249 times)

Panus

• Apprentice
Beatstep Pro bricked... ?
« on: September 30, 2018, 06:12:29 pm »
Hi-

My Beatstep Pro seems totally bricked. Noting other's posts re. USB connection being fragile I have been babying it, never gigged and it's barely moved in my studio. Recently had friend over and their gear was added and things were a bit chaotic.

Things seemed fine, BSP was connected to a USB hub with other gear. At some point it began flickering in a way I hadn't seen prior. It did not seem to be the USB jack being loose. Tried rebooting the whole deal and restarting hub... BSP no zero response. Other items on same hub were fine. (Queneo, iPad, APC40, Mini Brute, Minilogue).

It turned out that my friend had used wrong power supply for the hub... an infuriatingly identical appearing but higher voltage adaptor (24V). As such I'm thinking there was a power surge rather than a mechanical issue with the jack. I suppose somewhat relieved other gear didn't fry as well!!

Long way round to asking if anyone has experienced this and what does it bode as far as damage to my BSP, praying there is an isolated and potentially fixable diode and it isn't fully bricked. No detectable odor as I would expect if a diode went south. Unit is out of warranty.

Thanks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Beatstep Pro bricked... ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 02:26:48 am »
Dude that doesn't sound too good.  I don't think it was a power surge, you'd have more carnage than just the BSP if it was, but it's odd that it's only the BSP that was affected.  Perhaps the other devices have better overvolt protection than the BSP.   The hardware isn't pulling power via USB so that understandable that they didn't brick, but I'd be checking their USB interface since the episode. 
Popping a 240v AC lead into a socket expecting 110v really isn't good for that device or other devices it may be providing power to,though I'm sure saying that is being Captain Obvious.  There should be some protection in place at the power input stage, but if that's been fried, not much you can do.
I've got an Atomosynth Mocka I will one day take to the electronics man to replace blown capacitors in it's PSU's, despite the fact the manual says it was a switching PSU (and I'd actually rather take the non-switching PSU and grind it into the Atomosynth-bloke's eye while screaming at him as I tend to be an angry man when it comes to providing poor info/documentation on electronic equipment).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Panus

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:23:20 pm »
Doh. Mistook a 24v AC to DC switching adaptor for the 5V DC adaptor that should have been used. My bad, a box of adaptors… most are prominently labeled w/silver sharpie to avoid this. Fully accepting this is user error.

I did check the other devices and they all seem unaffected. The APC40, MiniBrute and Minilogue were merged on a single passive hub into the powered one, that may have helped. The BSP, Quneo and iPad were all drawing bus power.

Something definitely fried, in the hub.I suppose count my blessings it wasn’t worse. Glad the iPad was unaffected!

FWIW the Quneo has the same micro-USB connector as the BSP and is rock solid despite all nature of cable wrangling and hard use. I suspect the case design simply doesn’t allow for any play. Very thin and heat welded.

May crack the BSP and look for any clear damage, but any repairs are likely too fine for my crude soldering skills anyway. Minimal experience with tube amp maintenance, which may as well be welding pipes compared to this. Live and learn.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:06:54 am »
Bummer.  I've done similar things over the years.  Cooked me up a good number of electronic gadgets. 
I've bought a magnifying glass with a light to be able to read the backs of wallwarts and I label all of them that come with instruments as to identify which they are for.
BBQ'ed a television, DVD play, surround receiver, VCR and a video card in one fell swoop during a thunder storm in Brisbane, but that was an act of nature....  The lightening strike also blew up a waterpipe under the house (?) which gave some of my instruments I was storing there a nice shower.  Original packaging is what saved my Microwave XTk that night.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Panus

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:48:46 pm »
I had resolved myself to having a lovely set of dead knobs, but the rerelease of the black edition BSP (mine is the first black edition) rekindled my frustration and hopes for some sort of repair.

I never received a reply from Arturia CS re. any possible repair options.

Is it really possible I am lamentably the only person on this forum who has managed to supply wrong power to their BSP? And I should assume it is past repair at this point short of an entire board replacement?

If anyone has had to do a repair of this sort I would be interested to hear how and where they did so and the cost. Perhaps finding the most cosmetically trashed used BSP I can and just swapping the housing will be cheaper. Of course, it would also likely have imminent issues from hard use.  :-\

I did take it apart looking for any visible damage, haven’t had time to break out a meter and it's out of my league anyway without guidance. USB port appears totally solid. No visibly damaged diodes, etc. to my eyes. Supplying correct power yields zero activity/lights… but heat on back of board just beside and below the power switch and also the STM32F103VCT6 warms up.

Panus

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:26:16 pm »
Apologies to Arturia support team, I had changed email addresses and their reply had gone to old address. Once I made contact they promptly resolved my situation by sending a replacement motherboard, and at a reasonable price. Aside from a little futzing with the ribbon cable attachment all went smoothly, latest firmware accepted… back in business and a happy camper.

Perhaps I should change my screen name to mea culpa.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines