March 19, 2024, 10:31:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LCD Backglight Failure (replacement options)  (Read 10455 times)

fellersmtc

• Apprentice
Re: LCD Backglight Failure (replacement options)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 04:38:57 pm »
The display that I"m finding on eBay has the model number:  PVI PA050XS1 (LF).  Does the "LF" designation indicate that its not compatible with the Origin?

Thanks

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 02:16:07 am »
The display that I"m finding on eBay has the model number:  PVI PA050XS1 (LF).  Does the "LF" designation indicate that its not compatible with the Origin?

Thanks
Many of the displays in this family has the "(LF)" prefix. I've not been able to find out what its meaning is, but I son't think it's anything to worry about compatibility wise.

There's a nice overview of the variants of this LCD module panelook.com. You can get versions with LED backlight which should work, but you'd have to arrange the LED power of 11V (not available in the Origin, but could be added using a DC-DC converter).

BTW, you can get these for as little as around $16 here.

fellersmtc

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 05:52:58 pm »
Cool.  I just ordered the PA050XS1 LF.  Considered going with the PA050XSJ, but decided to play it safe instead.  Also ordered a new Microsemi inverter and new pots.  I'll let the forum know how this all turns out.

fellersmtc

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 12:50:20 am »
Ug!  I ripped the ribbon cable on my new display module!  Not sure how that happened.  Treat these ribbon cables like paper!   :-[

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 03:48:38 pm »
Ouch! IME that type of cable is reasonably durable and doesn't rip like that from normal handling (still treat them carefully, of course). It looks like the rip is where it meets the housing - could it have been damaged by a kink or crack in manufacture/packing/transport? Might be worth asking for a replacement.

fellersmtc

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 07:55:18 pm »
Success!  Display replaced.  All rotary encoders replaced with Bournes encoders. 

One trick you can do is to tape the display to the circuit board (I used masking tape) so you can test each replaced encoder before re-assembling.  Of course put a piece of cardboard between the display and the board.

Matt

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 08:24:58 pm »
Success!  Display replaced.  All rotary encoders replaced with Bournes encoders.
Very nice - congrats on the future proofing! :)

I find it quite inspiring, especially since I view synths as "lifetime" purchases, and I mean to get around to treat mine to the same maintenance and upgrade as yours.

May I ask how the display story went - did you repair it, or get it replaced, or...?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines