April 24, 2024, 08:36:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencer does not change time, MB sequences do not sound  (Read 3082 times)

Neosynth

• Apprentice
Sequencer does not change time, MB sequences do not sound
« on: September 23, 2018, 08:41:57 am »
Hi !!!

i'm trying to synchronize the MB with my cubase 9, and record midi notes i've got it, the problem is when i change the BPM of my cubase the preset of the MB doesn't change the BPM, i've checked the DEVICE of the MIDI CONTROL CENTER i've changed all the parameters and nothing.

It also happens that when I select a preset that has sequences programmed in the MB. like it sounds in the MB I want to shoot it from Cubase, because when this MIDI Sync activated in MB, that preset does not sound.

Can anyone tell me if they know the solution?
And the configuration of the DEVICE?

Greetings to all! Neosynth

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:19:21 pm by Neosynth »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Sequencer does not change time, MB sequences do not sound
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:43:18 pm »
I just tried syncing the MxB sequencer to Cubase (I run 6.5)  and it works fine with the following settings:

- In Cubase, make sure that the MxB is selected as a clock destination in Cubase's  "Synchronization Setup" window (open by holding Ctrl and clicking the "Sync" button in the transport control panel (either select MatrixBrute if connected by USB, or the MIDI port that the MxB is connected to if using DIN MIDI).

- In the MIDI Control Center device setup, make sure that the "MIDI clock source" is set to the desired source (or simply to "All"), that the "Sync Clock In/Out Settings" are set to 24ppq and that "Sequencer/Arp Sends Notes" is set to on if you want to record the MxB sequence into Cubase.

- On the MxB, in the sequencer section, "Sequencer" and "MIDI Sync" must both be on.

Please refer to the attached screenshots. Of course the MIDI channels in Cubase must match the ones used on the MxB - you probably have that down already.

This setup lets me sync the MxB sequencer to Cubase and record the sequenced notes to a Cubase MIDI track. Remember to switch "Sequencer" off on the MxB on playback from Cubase to avoid double triggering.

As a sidenote I observe that there's apparently some tempo drift or instability when the MxB is a sync slave, leading to the MxB effects exhibiting pitch artifacts if the fx Sync is enabled. To avoid that I need to run without Sync on the effects - not a biggie, but also a bit irritating. @Arturia: any comments on that?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:16:38 pm by DrJustice »

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 12:13:06 pm »
I am also quite concerned with the instability of the sync, so if anyone has some insight on how to improve it, how to get the Brute to sync best, I would be delighted!

Neosynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »
I just tried syncing the MxB sequencer to Cubase (I run 6.5)  and it works fine with the following settings:

Thank you very much DrJustice!!! thanks to your explanation I have the MB synchronized with Cubase.

But..... the change of bank from cubase is not possible yet. Can you tell me if you change the preset bank from cubase and how is it configured?

Thank you very much for your help, Greetings Neosynth ;)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »
Glad to be of help :)

Our fellow forumite endreola has the explanation of changing presets from Cubase (and other DAWs) here.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:22:11 pm by DrJustice »

Neosynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:26 pm »
Before I asked you, I was watching that post, but it doesn't work for me........
when I change presets I change from 1 to 16 well, the problem is when I change the bank, put the bank that always put this in bank 1.

I do not know if you need to configure something to change banks well ...

Thank you very much! Greetings Neosynth

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:02:24 pm »
when I change presets I change from 1 to 16 well, the problem is when I change the bank, put the bank that always put this in bank 1.

Ah, you're probably setting the bank and program for the whole track (in the "track inspector"). When you do this, you have to multiply the bank number, from 0 to 15 (the counting starts at 0 for these low level messages), by 128. The reason for this is that the bank number in the inspector sends CC messages for both the MSB and LSB values, so in effect you have to specify the full MSB/LSB number that gets split up into those two messages. I.e. set the bank number as follows to select the rows on the MxB:

row 1 = 0 * 128 = 0   
row 2 = 1 * 128 = 128
row 3 = 2 * 128 = 256
etc.

If you want to do program changes along a track, in the actual MIDI parts, you need to instead open the MIDI part and create a controller lane for "Bank Select MSB" (CC 0) and one for "Program Change". Then you must create an event in the "Bank Select MSB" lane and give it the row number you want (from 0 to 15) as its value, followed by an event in the "Program change" lane with the column number you want (from 1 to 16) as its value. When using this technique, you'll usually want to set both the bank and program in the track inspector to "off".

This may seem confusing... When specifying the only the MSB on its own (as we use in the controller lane), we use a 7 bit value (from 0 to 127), as opposed to a 14 bit value (from 0 to 16383) when specifying both the MSB and LSB message values in the same number (as we use in the track inspector).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:55:46 pm by DrJustice »

Neosynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:16:50 pm »
Hi, thank you! I suppose that the configuration will be easy, although I have never had to configure any device in my cubase, I have tried but I think I will be doing something wrong (attached photos) if it is true that I have realized that MIDI devices can be imported and exported, Someone could help uploading and sharing the MIDI device configuration file in cubase??

Thank you very much Dr Justice for your patience with me

Greetings Neosynth

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 01:22:00 am »
The methods for selecting patches that I mentioned does not involve a Cubase MIDI Device, they're generic methods.

The first two attached images show how to change patch using the track inspector and the controller lanes.

The third image shows how to set up a bank (MxB row) with 15 patches (MxB columns). Specifically, it shows setting up the third bank with 15 presets, so Bank Select MSB is set to 2 and the preset numbers are set to the range 0 to 15.

I've never really used devices in Cubase, but I made a MatrixBrute device with all banks and presets - however, it didn't quite work since the inspector still showed bank/program numbers for patch selection. I fiddled with a couple of experimental devices and got the drop down instead of the bank/program selection numbers - I couldn't actually select anything though. Now it's late, the documentation I have for creating devices is not clear on how to enable the patch selection in the form of that drop down, so I've had enough for now...

Hopefully you can at least change patches using the inspector or controller lanes for now. Then we can get back to creating a MatrixBrute MIDI device later.

Neosynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:24:06 pm »
Thank you for your help Dr Justice, now if you have been more specific, I have even understood, I have done exactly as you told me to the attached image, unfortunately I do not know what I'm doing wrong, because I have not yet been able to change the bank from where the track information is (MIDI Device configuration).
However, I can confirm that from the inspector or lanes of controllers if it does, although it is a very frustrating task.

The ideal is that it can be done without having to get into the inspector, from the track information, for that I think you have to do the MIDI Device.

Thank you very much! Neosynth

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 04:28:44 pm »
I've tried all permutations of the patch selection parameters when creating a Cubase MIDI Device, but I can't for the life of me make the banks and patches appear in the Track Inspector menu (the bank/program numbers disappear and are replaced by a "dead" patch selection menu - if anybody knows how to make that magic happen, please let me know).

Edit: OK, I've cracked the MIDI Device creation/setup to make bank/patch selection available - perhaps I'll knock up a complete device later.

However, if all that's wanted from the MIDI Device is easy named patch selection, we may as well use "patch scripts". Head over to this thread for an explanation and a couple of ready made scripts:

Cubase patch scripts
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:36:22 pm by DrJustice »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines