March 28, 2024, 12:07:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Please drop the software dependency  (Read 2952 times)

svmcwd

• https://steppenwolfvonmensch.bandcamp.com/
Please drop the software dependency
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:56:19 pm »
Hi, it's confusing me madly how all the otherwise standalone synths from Arturia, including the Drumbrute Impact, are so heavily OS and software dependent. Please drop this dependency and make all given parameters adjustable on the unit itself. Also it'd be a huge lot better if you allowed for OS updates via SysEx, instead of insisting on your own format.

Cheers
Veganism rules.

Klebhard

Re: Please drop the software dependency
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:32 pm »
+1
Il semble extrêmement facile d'ajouter une option de base dans le MCC permettant de choisir soit le driver USB soit un des drivers MIDI actifs, y compris les ports individuels des drivers multi-ports. Si vous ne voulez pas le faire pour des raisons commerciales, SVP dites-le. Sinon, que quelqu'un prenne une heure ou deux et le fasse ! Pareil pour la "MIDI implementation".

J'utilise une interface MIDI IConnectivity mio10, et que la DrumBrute y soit connectée via un port DIN ou USB, le MCC ne la détecte bien sûr pas. Pour faire un simple changement comme "MIDI Notes on/off", il faut brancher un câble USB directement entre la DrumBrute et le PC uniquement pour cela. Même chose pour le BeatStep Pro. J'ai décidé de ne plus acheter aucune machine ayant ce genre de limitation.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:56:25 pm by Klebhard »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 02:50:52 am »
I've found that you need to connect Arturia insruments directly to the computer for MCC to see them.  No hub or router in between.  I have a single USB cable connected my laptop especially for connectling my Arturia products to MCC.
I too am a little displeased with having to teather the machines to a computer for changing global settings, but in the end I think it's going to become more an more common.  For example, Novation are also using a software editor to manage not only it's global settings but also for editing the presets on their Circuit (anyone in Oz want to buy a Circuit for 200aud? PM me if you do).  Not to mention all the MIDI controllers I've ever owned are all infinitely more configurable via their software progarmmers.
All that said, I'd love it if Arturia was to start releasing truely stand-alone intruments and other hardware.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

BruteJack

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:16:30 pm »
One more voice to this thread, which should probably go in Free Speech

Do I really have a product that requires a computer, windows/mac, some software and for me to surrender private details to activate this software in order to toggle some settings?

I was not aware of that when I bought the product. This is not mentioned on the box.

The box does mention:

"Required minimum configuration (For MIDI Control Center application)", but that does not imply "Some settings are only accessible with software that requires ..." - very different.

Please remove these software dependancies.

I feel discriminated against because I don't have windows/mac, I feel tricked that I should have to hand over my private details to toggle some settings, and feel mislead that I wasn't told this before buying the product.

Can you enlighten me as to why you are doing this?

I love my Microbrute and my Drumbrute Impact. Will this get worse as I go up the ladder to a Minibrute 2?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:18:04 pm by BruteJack »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 05:32:31 am »
I feel your pain with not running A Windows or Mac OS system meaning you can't use MCC. Perhaps you could run a VM? You don't need an Arturia account to download and install MCC.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

svmcwd

• https://steppenwolfvonmensch.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:07 am »
I feel your pain with not running A Windows or Mac OS system meaning you can't use MCC. Perhaps you could run a VM? You don't need an Arturia account to download and install MCC.

Or the folks from Arturia could be nice enough to not bind customers to their self-made update software, and offer all updates in the simple form of SysEx files easily working on most OS's. Just as plenty noteworthy synth makers do.
Veganism rules.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 03:48:07 pm »
It was just a suggestion to help you get by. With regards to the minibrute 2, try reading the manual.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines