March 28, 2024, 08:23:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to connect EXT AUDIO signals into Modular V for processing?  (Read 2599 times)

jduesenb

• Apprentice
How to connect EXT AUDIO signals into Modular V for processing?
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:36:16 am »
I would have thought this was a very basic question, but so far can find very little info in either the Manual or here. I'm using Digital Performer 9 as my DAW. All I want to do is connect audio signal(s) from a track (or submit) to the "EXT AUDIO" inputs in Modular V, and process them thru the MultiMode filter and other modules. A sensible way to do this (which is implied by some discussion here) would be to use Modular V as an "effect."  But that doesn't seem to work at all in Digital Performer. I haven't tried any other host SW yet.

Is anybody experienced in how to do this? I can't believe how skimpy the info in the manual is. "Using Modular V as an efx processor" would seem to be
a rich topic worthy of a separate chapter! In the good ol' days, I used to have toms of fun running all kinds of signals thru a Moog 55 for filtering and
strange forms of AM (amplitude modulation) including the Bode Frequency Shifter!

ben arturia

• Administrator
Re: How to connect EXT AUDIO signals into Modular V for processing?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:14:53 am »
Hi jduesenb,
Depends on the DAW you're using.
In live 9 or 10 you must select the Modular as audio output of your audio track.
Then in the Modular route the ExtLeft and ExtRight as audio inputs.
Remember to trig the envelope.

Hope this helps
.......testing.......

jduesenb

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 04:02:15 pm »
Thanks, but you evidently didn't read my message carefully enough.
I specifically said that I'm using DIGITAL PERFORMER 9.

So why are you talking about how to use it in Live 9 or 10?

AFAICS Arturia simply hasn't bothered to support this feature in Digital Performer, and they are being evasive and dishonest about it.

If you or anyone out there knows otherwise, pls. speak up.

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:25:58 pm »
Hi jduesenb,

Sorry you're right I didn't read your message carefully enough.

The Modular should accept any audio in as any other VSTi. We are not compatible ONLY with Live.
DP9 should be able to route any audio to a VSTi track.
As i'm not an expert of DP9 i can't tell you how to do so.

Hope someone here will be able to help you.

.......testing.......

jduesenb

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 09:26:26 pm »
Do you offcially work for Arturia Support? 

If you do, perhaps you can find somebody else within Arturia to answer these very basic questions?

If you don't, thanks for trying.

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:53:34 am »
Hi jduesenb,

I'm test manager here.
I've been trying to route audio to an instrument track in DP9. I didn't find such option.
I'm sorry but I can't be an expert using all the DAWs !

I suggest you to contact DP support about this. They should be able to help you.
This option is part of the VST standard so if it works in Live or Logic it should work in DP unless they add the option to route audio to an instrument track.
This is easily done in most of the DAWs but here in DP this seems to be a little bit more tricky.
If you find the solution I'll be glad to know how you did that.

Best
.......testing.......

LBH

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 12:33:47 pm »
Hi Ben,

There are still DAWs that can't route audio to a VSTi track. This has been reported in the forums. I need a VSTe version in Studio One to route audio to a plug-in. Why have Arturia removed the VSTe versions when there was FX versions before VC5 that was called an update/ upgrade?

Studio One do have a sidechain, but that also only work for VSTe plug-ins that even is made to accept this. You can assign a VSTe version to a instrument track in Studio One, and that's the way to use vocoders and other plug-ins that need both audio and midi input, but you can't use a VSTi to do this. So a VSTe version is a must, to get this to work in Studio One.
I'm not even sure Cubase can route audio to a VSTi, and i  don't know if Digital Performer can do it either. I have not seen any information that tell it can.

At least informations on the sales site about which DAWs that can't use the plug-ins fully should be mentioned. But actually Studio One is smention to be fully supported. But it's not. It's not fair advertising. Of coarse Arturia should know about which DAW's that can route Audio into VSTi tracks, when choosing to stop making FX versions, as long as it's not a standard for DAWs to be able to do this.

I do find it's bad that for example Studio One can't route audio to a VSTi. But still, -  when there are DAWs that can't, then Arturia should provide VSTe versions, for the plug-ins that can use audio input like Buchla, Modular, Mini V and ARP 2600. It would also provide better publicity for Arturia doing this.
I would really like to be able to route audio thru my Buchla.

Best
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:39:22 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines