March 28, 2024, 09:19:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Small questions: 5V, VCO2 range, Krell patch?  (Read 4707 times)

mcc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Small questions: 5V, VCO2 range, Krell patch?
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:42:52 pm »
Hello! I've got a MiniBrute 2 and there are some things I've never quite worked out how to do them with the patch bay:

1. Is there a simple way to get a pure 5V output from the patch bay? For example it would sometimes be helpful to plug this into AMP, or into one of the attenuator inputs. The only way I know to do this is to turn MOD up all the way, but then I can't use MOD for other things.

2. What do the markings on the VCO2 Tune knob correspond to? The manual says in "Fine" mode "a full turn of the knob covers a range of more than an octave above and below the center frequency". "More than"? What does that mean? The Tune knob has both large and small tick markings, but I don't know what they mean. What I'd really like to know is (a) In Fine mode what do I set it to to get a 1 Octave offset? (a) In fine mode what do I set it to to get a offset of 1 octave? (b) In All mode what do I set it to to get an offset of 2 octaves? (c) In Fine mode what do I set it to to get an offset of one standard fifth (seven semitones)?

3. This one's a bit odder. On YouTube I find a lot of examples of what's called the "Krell Patch" which is a fun self-playing patch people have implemented in different modular systems. I'm not 100% sure what the exact definition is but the basic rules seem to be (1) Note pitch is random (2) Note duration is random (3) The next note is triggered by the end of the last note. It *seems* like the MiniBrute ought to be able to do this. My basic strategy was to put AD Out to INVERTER In, and hook INVERTER Out to AD Trig. My hope is that the descent of the AD Out, inverted, will be interpreted as a trigger for the AD. However if I do this I get pure silence. Even more oddly, if instead of hooking the inverted AD Out into Trig I hook AD Out -> Inverter -> AMP AM, I still get silence. It seems that plugging AD Out into the Inverter gets strange results. What am I missing? Is there a way to trick the AD into being triggered by its own decay?

Thanks!

zedius

Re: Small questions: 5V, VCO2 range, Krell patch?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:03:00 pm »
Heck yes! I too want to try building a Krell patch now! Following this thread (y)

mcc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:19:31 pm »
As an update, I think (I'm not sure but I think) I've figured out why my krell patch doesn't work— I think? the inverter inverts over the -5 to +5 range, that is it just flips sign, whereas the envelope goes over the 0-5 range.

So if I could figure out some way to invert over the 0-5 range maybe the krell patch would work. But I don't know how to invert a trigger and I'm not sure how to do the Krell thing without inverting a trigger…

Kevin G.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:28:20 pm »
BoBeats does something similar here (but he doesn't show how he built it, at least not in this video). There are some shots of the patch cables which might help to reverse his process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkyhGb0jqjk

I spotted that he was using a couple of "knucklebones" connectors similar to this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMM105--hosa-gmm-105-knucklebones-1-to-5-signal-splitter

...also a TC Electronic Hall of Fame (reverb) pedal.

Kevin G.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:38:43 pm »
Also check out this patch video on the MiniBrute 2S:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usofNEhXyw

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines