April 25, 2024, 11:07:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sustained notes  (Read 1913 times)

SunkenForest

• Apprentice
Sustained notes
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:07:07 am »
Perhaps someone on the forum can help me. I'm looking to sequence sustained notes, but seem to be having some trouble. Is there a specific method for doing this? I've lengenthed the gate values to maximum (tie) but they don't appear to sustain for the duration.

Any suggestions would be a great help as at the moment I am having to sequence from Push in order to achieve this.

MrWizdelz

• Apprentice
Re: Sustained notes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:51:51 pm »
When you are trying to do this, are you sync'd to Ableton? Because I'm also experiencing the same behavior, but only when sync'd to Cubase. When I power the unit on stand-alone, programming ties, gate values, slides all work as expected. But then as soon as I turn on Cubase and 2S gets synced with it, all those things seem to be ignored. The same previous sequence plays with the correct pitches, but all the notes are just straight 16ths, so previously indicated ties/gates/slides are ignored, even though all the values are still present.

Can anyone else who syncs with a DAW try to reproduce this, pretty please?

MrWizdelz

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:28:52 am »
Found this video on YT that demonstrates this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7qpaq3bi6k

This is how it is for me for gate values, slides, ties, and ratchets, but only when sync'd to a DAW.

MrWizdelz

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 01:56:35 pm »
Found this video on YT that demonstrates this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7qpaq3bi6k

This is how it is for me for gate values, slides, ties, and ratchets, but only when sync'd to a DAW.

The person who made this video figured out it was due to a MIDI feedback loop and that was the case for me as well.

For other Cubase users, if you want to use the sequencer, set the channel in the inspector to anything other than whatever the User channel is defined for the MBS2 (1 by default). And when sending MIDI data from Cubase, set it to that User channel. The User channel is configurable via the Arutria's MIDI Control Center.

SunkenForest

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 01:35:09 am »
I see! Okay, well this gives some areas to look at for troubleshooting.

So my initial idea was to have the Brute synced with Ableton so I could use either the sequencer on the Brute, or the Push 2 depending on how I was feeling. Then if using the Push, I could set the Brute to record those notes into the sequencer for saving the pattern, or vice versa.

I had a feeling it may be a midi echo issue, as when I had tried this method previously, the Brute received a note on every step, as opposed to just the notes played. Almost as though it was recording the clock... This then replicated in Ableton by firing a constant stream of notes to the external instrument midi plug in.

I will experiment with this and post my findings in case anyone else using Ableton suffers the same issue.

Thanks for the replies.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines