March 28, 2024, 09:47:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Mini Lab + Beatstep or Keystep + Beatstep?  (Read 5936 times)

patricenoemie

• Apprentice
Mini Lab + Beatstep or Keystep + Beatstep?
« on: August 27, 2018, 03:39:06 am »
Hi everybody!

I am wondering what to buy as a combination : the keystep and beatstep or the mini lab and beatstep? What would you recommend for a better compatibility and all-around coverage for production and beat making?  I am planning to use these tools both on Ableton on Macbooks pro and on iPad (BeatMaker 3, others) and would like to make a smart purchase.

Thank you so much in advance,

Patrice.

cvb

• Apprentice
Re: Mini Lab + Beatstep or Keystep + Beatstep?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:29:39 pm »
In my opinion, MiniLab MkII has 80% of the Keystep + Beatstep functionality. You'll miss the extra 8 pads, (but you have the 9-16 pad switch), dedicated transport control, the extra control knob, and the builtin sequencer (not much use if you have a DAW), but you have the advantage of a compact setup.
I'd buy MiniLab MkII first, and if not enough, I'f add a Keystep later.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Mini Lab + Beatstep or Keystep + Beatstep?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:27:25 pm »
I bought the KeyStep instead of Minilab because it has more keys and comes with aftertouch. You'll have to decide yourself whether those two considerations are important to you. For me, the lack of aftertouch on the Minilab mkII was a showstopping oversight; many of even Arturia's own Analog Lab presets only come alive with it, especially (but not only) those using the CS80.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines