April 23, 2024, 08:33:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Audiofuse Studio clicking and popping noise  (Read 2863 times)

ProkCGP83

Audiofuse Studio clicking and popping noise
« on: December 04, 2021, 04:02:38 am »
Just got my audiofuse studio and got it all hooked up. Everything seems to be working ok, but i keep getting tiny little clicking and popping noises. These clicks and pops get worse when I move the mouse pointer around on the screen. I tried searching for "clicks" and "pops" on the forums, but to no avail. Please help me. I do not want to return this thing, but I might have to if this cant be resolved.

Burtrola

• Apprentice
Re: Audiofuse Studio clicking and popping noise
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 03:52:26 pm »
Having the same issue. Of course tried changing the buffer size and to no avail. It doesn't sound like a buffer issue anyway, it sounds like "staticy" clicks. Not interupts and loud clicks and pops, if that makes any sense. Unsure if you are hearing the same thing, but it is present in the audio feed for you tube, daw, VSTs. Tested on headphones to rule out monitor issues. No one has replied to your comment so thought I would at least offer a response as I also did not find anything in the forums either. I have emailed support and we'll see what they say. Mine is out of warranty but hopefully there is a cure as I am guessing this is a HW issue.  (There's a lot to like about the design of the Audiofuse 6 so would hate to throw it out and spend money on something else, but currently that is the plan. Uggh) If I hear back from support I will try to remember to come back and update the post.

Burtrola

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 12:23:39 am »
*** Fixed (for me anyway) ****

Still have not heard back from support on this, but it was a week before Christmas so not surprised or unexpected there. I have been jumping through hoops and knocking myself out on this. Reinstalled the driver. Played with buffer settings constantly. I even bought a a pricey Furman power conditioner and plugged everything into that. Was not the issue. Grrrr. I unplugged everything from the laptop except the interface and my monitors. Still happened with this "bare bones" setup. Man, I getting so frustrated that I was ready to throw down on an RME or something even higher end.

Anyway....

Here is the MAGIC CURE (at least for me). I bought my Dell XPS just for music production. It's a beefy laptop. Core i7 and 32 gigs RAM. 2 TB SSD. Should have all the power needed to drive a small studio. Then I remembered something. Heh. This is a laptop. There are power optimizations in the BIOS to optimize the battery (even  beyond what is available in Windows.) So I looked in the BIOS and sure enough there is a performance tab. Playing with this seemed worth a try.

The settings that FIXED EVERYTHING for me was C-State (under the performance tab on my machine, but yours may be in a different location.). DISABLE this feature! What it does (according to info in the bios) is disable CPU cores when not in use, and then reenable them when the OS needs them. This happens very quickly but apparently it is enough of a hiccup in the kernel threads that this manifests as audio pops in the ASIO driver.

This is a low-level power management feature added by Intel. I suppose it is like driving a a V8 and having the vehicle turn off several cylinders when they are not needed. Ahem.

At any rate, this explains why mucking around with driver settings, or Arturia's mixer app fixed the problem for a while. It woke up the CPU enough that the clicks and pops went away (for a while, but then would always come back). Not anymore. BAM! All is well and works as expected.

I see this post has more than a few views. So really hopes this helps someone else, especially the OP. Please fell free to ask any questions if needed.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 02:35:03 am by Burtrola »

Ølm

• Tempus Edax Rerum
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 03:10:07 pm »
Glad you figured it out!

The only time I've had it click or pop during use is when I had it plugged into a particular wall outlet in my house that must be "daisy-chained" to the bathroom's exhaust fan. Every time somebody went into the bathroom and turned on the fan, it'd make a pop come through in the headphone output and coming through in Ableton on the inputs! Simple fix was to just find a new place to plug it in.

I'm glad you posted this though; if I ever buy a sweet new laptop like yours, I'll be sure to refer back to this if I have any issues with pops and clicks! Right now I'm using a very solid 2019 iMac with an i5, so no problems. My first Apple computer—bought specifically for music—and after about a year and half, I'm satisfied!

I like the Audiofuse as well, I just wish it wouldn't pop when I turn it on. Does yours do that? It's only when you turn it on or off—not while it's in operation. I'm curious because if it's not happening to you (or anyone else) then perhaps I ought to get myself a power conditioner. Everything's fine during regular operation; quiet as a mouse. But when you turn this sucker on or off, "POP!" go the speakers and headphones. It's annoying, but I just remember to turn off the speakers before turning off the AudioFuse.
☩ 𝕺𝖑𝖒 ☩
☕︎ ♗ ⚖︎ ⚛︎ ⚔︎

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines