April 19, 2024, 12:45:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: External Processing Devices for the MxB Mono Output  (Read 1466 times)

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
External Processing Devices for the MxB Mono Output
« on: August 05, 2018, 10:01:26 pm »
Just got my MxB last week...fun, fun, fun!

I'm wondering about external stereo processing of the mono signal.  I've been playing with the onboard analog stereo delay and it's cool, but I'm wondering if there are any external effects processors that would let me control it from the CV outputs of the MxB.  So, an effects processor that would accept a monaural input, allow CV input (from the MxB) to control LFO's/ENV's/etc that might control panning/volume, and then output the resulting signal in stereo? 

Thanks  ;)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: External Processing Devices for the MxB Mono Output
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:10:46 am »
There's a lot of fun to be had indeed  :)

If what you want is specifically (and only) panning and volume, then the volume can already be taken care of using the VCA mod matrix column. Controlling panning would require something like a Doepfer A-134 panning module. So perhaps it's time to start a eurorack modular to expand your MxB?

In addition to simply panning the MxB mono output (left channel), you could also connect the stereo outputs to the A-134 to vary the left/right levels while using the MxB's on board FX. Another option is to use the insert jack on the MxB to tap a pre-FX mono signal (i.e. using the insert as a direct out, like this) that you could run through the panning module (and other processing) while still using the stereo outputs with the onboard FX - you'd then have two outputs from the MxB which could be processed separately. There are also eurorack CV-controllable effect modules of all kinds that you could use to extend this further.

(You could conceivably also use a CV-to-MIDI box to convert the MxB CV outputs into MIDI CC messages that in turn could control FX/processing units with MIDI inputs, but that's much less clear cut and you'd lose control resolution and fine timing. However, IMO, the eurorack module(s) solution would be more 'natural', easy and fun.)

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
Re: External Processing Devices for the MxB Mono Output
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:26:56 am »
Thanks for the cool ideas.  I think I'll have to put any Eurorack plans on hold until my bank account fully recovers from the MxB  ;)  Meanwhile, I might try running the MxB audio through my old Korg Radias, it has a sweet effects section and these angled control panel synths would look fantastic together  ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines