April 18, 2024, 10:59:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Struggling to understand Multi mode ...  (Read 3097 times)

Paul Milstead

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Struggling to understand Multi mode ...
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:59:02 pm »
... Are there any tutorials/videos to help me with this?

The section in the manual could do with expanding and clarifying as I don't feel that it explains it very well.  ???

For example, why do I need to assign polyphonic voice modes? What's this rotate and random business about?

LBH

Re: Struggling to understand Multi mode ...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:48:46 pm »
... Are there any tutorials/videos to help me with this?
I don't think so.

The section in the manual could do with expanding and clarifying as I don't feel that it explains it very well.  ???
No the multimode need much more attention also in the manual.
BTW. I have posted this feature request: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=89852.0

For example, why do I need to assign polyphonic voice modes? What's this rotate and random business about?
In the manual at the bottom of page 47 and forward this question is actually answered with a description of each voice mode, so i'm not sure i understand what your confusion excactly is about, so more info is needed, if your question is'nt answered by this.

The CsAssign mode mentioned in the manual is called random in the application though.

I also suggest you try out each voice mode following the descriptions in the manual while watching which voice/s is active. This can help to understand.

Paul Milstead

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:10:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I've added my voice to the other thread you mention. :)

The manual says: "When the Multi mode hatch is open, the playing mode is called “multiple”. In this mode, each of the eight polyphonic voices available can take a different sound ..."

I want the voices to sound simultaneously (don't I?). Why would I want them to be assigned randomly?  ???

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:07:16 am »
That depend on how you understand voices, and on what you wan't to do.

Voices can for example be detuned differently. So in a RANDOM mode you can get a random detuning for each note you play. Let's for example say, that you play the same note repeatedly, then you will get randomly variations on that one note each time you press the key. I would like the detune was a random amount of detune, so it actually emulated the behavior of the original CS-80. CS-80 v2 actually had such a global random detuning in a set area.

Voices also have other parameters that can be set individually for each voice.

Playing notes that use those voices with a seperate setting for each randomly thus create random variations in the sound. Why won't you have this?

When you say "simultaneously", then to me it for example could mean playing many notes that use one voice each. The random playmode does'nt change this, but adopt the random behavior for each note that in this case also is for each voice as one note in this case equals one voice.
"Simultaneously" can also be understood as UNISON, where 2 or more voices play at the same time for a note. If you wan't that to be in a monophonic/ single note sound, then you would select a UNISON voice mode. In this case you does'nt use the Random mode.

As you for example also have an option to assign one of up to 4 different sounds to each voice, then the RANDOM voice mode can also create small or huge sound differences in each note you play. And it can also be used to create speciel effects in any preset.

A simple example of a single possibility with the RANDOM voice mode.
Select the template preset "Multi Sequence". Press and hold a note and listen to how it play with it's Z1 voice mode "ROTATE".
Then shift the Z1 voice mode to "RANDOM". Press and hold a note and listen again.
Turn off the arpeggiator and play a single note repeatedly both in ROTATE and in RANDOM voice mode and listen.

Another example preset could be the template preset "4 Voices rotate" that for the understanding perhaps should have been named "4 sound rotate" or even more accurate using the matrix terms "4 Single patch rotate".
Play the sound in different ways while you listen. Perhaps use only 1 note at first.
Then change the Z1 voice setting to RANDOM - play the same and listen again.
The try to change the second column "Zone" to Z2, so you have the left column having Single patch 1-4 on Z1 and the right column the same using Z2. The try different Voice mode settings for Z1 and Z2 and listen.
Also try to have different voice modes for each of the zones.

Do your own experiments too with parameter variations.

Perhaps try other voice modes with differnt presets including with sounds that have long release time to listen to the differences between the voice modes.

I have to ask you - what are your definition of a voice? I don't understand why you should'nt want this original RANDOM CS-80 voicemode.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:21:39 pm by LBH »

Paul Milstead

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:24:04 am »
That’s very helpful - thanks very much  :)

Perhaps Arturia should ask you to help them with rewriting the manual. It would be a lot clearer.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:24:00 pm »
Your welcome. I'm glad if i have helped you to a better understanding.

No doubt the manual is very confusing about the multimode, the Single Patch and the Multiplier.
Actually it sounds like you never use multimode when you only use one Single Patch/ sound. But you do, if you use the voice and the voicemode settings.
Actually i'm not sure, that things work as they are supposed to, when using multimode, when you read in the manual, it look like i'm missing something too, like why on earth should i ever not use the multimode? Perhaps to save CPU, but some of the settings and functions work and are used even when the section is switched off, and that's not clear in the manual either.

Also it's important to understand that a single played note use at least 1 voice, but the same note can use multiple voices in Unison voicemodes. And 2 notes played at the same time can't use the same voice.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines