March 28, 2024, 04:14:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: GX-1 patches a la Abba / Benny Andersson  (Read 7363 times)

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
GX-1 patches a la Abba / Benny Andersson
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:02:33 pm »
Hi All,

about a year ago there was a fantastic thread on Gearslutz, where Swedish master synth restorer Ulf Soderlund restored Benny Andersson's (of ABBA) legendary GX-1 to full working condition. An extremely challenging task, and there are only a few GX1s in existence today. Not only that, but he took the time to post sound demos and explain in detail the inner workings of the GX1.

Here is the thread:  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1042036-yamaha-gx-1-alive.html

This gave me the information I needed to emulate the GX-1 on the Origin, which I converted to CS-80V. I posted the Origin patches and sound demos over in this thread: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=86637.0

I got a lot of positive response including Mr. Soderlund who posted side-by-side audio comparisons between his GX1 and my Origin patches, in the Gearslutz thread. Some people asked if I could port them to the CS80V, so I am attaching my first GX1 patches to this post.

This is a CS80V3 bank that includes presets GX1_1_L and GX1_1_R. Load each one into a separate track in your DAW, then pan one left and the other one right (in my Ableton Live I have Left panned to "9 o'clock" and Right panned to "3 o'clock"). This is the voice structure of the  GX-1 when you play it in the dual manual mode...it's like playing two CS-80s simultaneously (one left one right), but with a global LFO controlling PWM on both. The patches are slightly different (as it would be on a GX1), which produces a richer sound. There are no FX on these patches. Also, since the PWM LFOs on each patch are MIDI-sync'd (to simulate the GX1's global PWM LFO), to get the right pulse width modulation speed, I set my DAW to 128bpm. 

Use the same method for the other two patches, Horns_1_L and Horns_1_R
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:24:09 am by hermitnerd »

Firechild

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: GX-1 patches a la Abba / Benny Andersson
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:05:53 am »
Thanks a lot I will try this at home :D
Pro Tools 10.3.6 HD  HD3 TDM , OS X 10.8.4 Mac Pro 2010 Hexacore.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:50:19 pm »

Let me know how it goes!

Firechild

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:53 pm »
Great!
And wow...the CS_80V sounds way better now than last time I tried 5-6 years ago...amazing!

Let me know how it goes!
Pro Tools 10.3.6 HD  HD3 TDM , OS X 10.8.4 Mac Pro 2010 Hexacore.

2cynikal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:09:23 pm »
I've just seen the below 'Dream Machine' video about the GX-1 on Youtube. Anybody fancy creating a predecessor bank of GX-1 vintage presets for the CS80v3?

https://youtu.be/WLSditiJVpc
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:46:10 pm by 2cynikal »

Drawbar Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 03:40:21 pm »
Thanks for sharing this patch. I’ve been after this sound for years! The closest I got was one I programmed on a Roland MKS-70. I have been playing Nationalsang all afternoon :-)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines