March 28, 2024, 11:08:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Art. Lab 3 synth sounds distort & crackle when laptop is powered via AC  (Read 3696 times)

retrophonics

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I recently bought Arturia's Lab 3 synth software, a Dell laptop (Win 10, I7 processor, 8mb ram) Focusrite 2i2 audio interface and Arturia Essential 61 midi keyboard.
Bascially, when my laptop is plugged in and running on electrical power (not battery) it causes many of my Lab 3 synth sounds to distort badly and crackle.
However when running just on laptop battery, they don't! (Tried it on another more basic laptop and same thing happened).
But as I need the laptop to be connected to power when using Lab 3, Abelton and my audio interface, I'm stuffed!

Strangley, I can run play/record my hardware synths through my Focusrite 2i2 audio interface into Abelton on my laptop while it's plugged in and powered to electric, without any sound issues. But the soft synths on Arturia distort and crackle when the laptop is plugged in?
All advice welcome...

AndyRH

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Art. Lab 3 synth sounds distort & crackle when laptop is powered via AC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:33:59 pm »
If they work with the computer running on batteries, then I think you probably have a dodgy mains power adaptor.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:36:13 pm by AndyRH »

retrophonics

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:56 am »
Hi AndyRH,

I thought that to, but same thing happened when I tried it on my work laptop, which also happens to be a Dell?
However when playing my hardware synths though the laptop and the laptop powered to the AC, sound is fine !!
And to add another twist, I downloaded another non Arturia soft synth (Dexed) and it also sounds fine when laptop is powered to AC.
So issue seems to be with Lab 3?

AndyRH

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 01:28:16 pm »
It does look like the issue is related to the Lab 3.
Does the same distortion etc. occur when you use the soft synths outside Lab 3? Play the instruments as standalones, and see if it does.

One thing I could suggest even though it's not likely to be related to the power issue, is to change the settings of your ASIO driver.
I found that on my system, that if the buffer size is set too low I get distortion and crackling.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:02:09 pm »
Hi Retrophonics,

I'm sorry to hear about your issue again. I hoped you had got it solved.
No need to create a new thread. This is the old thread: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92694.45#msg150515
But now you are here.

Your "new" Dell laptop i understood was an older restored laptop.
I don't know anything about the other laptop you mention, you have tried.

Dexed does'nt use any effects, and does'nt put that much load on your CPU. So it does'nt really tell you does't have power issues or other performance issues, that you can run Dexed.

Here are some questions to answer, and things to try.

Why does things work when you are battery powered, as i understand it does. Because of having more power when using the battery than when using the adapter? (Perhaps your CPU monitor also can help to tell.)

Are your computer/s using correct and well working parts?

Are you using different power adapters for the 2 computers?
Are the they running the correct wattage?
Are they the original recommended adapters from Dell?

Among other things to read and try out on this Dell support page -
https://www.dell.com/support/article/dk/da/dkbsdt1/sln128918/ac-adapter-not-powering-on-the-computer-or-charging-the-battery?lang=en#AC_Adapter
- you find the following - (The text might be better to read thru the above supplied link.):

Verify AC adapter wattage
Using an AC adapter that has a lower wattage may show an error message "The AC adapter type cannot be determined. This will prevent optimal system performance" or "Unknown or incorrect AC adapter detected", reduce the processor (CPU) speed to run slower to save power, laptop battery might not charge or charge slowly or AC adapter might heat up.
Dell laptop PCs may use either a 65W (Watt), 90W, 130W, 180W or 240W AC adapter. For optimal performance, use the AC adapter that came with the Dell laptop PC. AC adapter's wattage information is printed on the label which is located at the bottom of the AC adapter.

Note: Refer to the printed label located at the bottom of the AC adapter for wattage information.
To verify if the PC is recognizing the AC adapter correctly:

Restart the PC.
When the Dell logo appears, tap F2 key until the message Entering Setup appears.
Verify the AC Adapter Type in the BIOS options.
If AC Adapter Type is None - Ensure to connect the AC adapter to the PC.
If AC Adapter Type is Unknown - Follow troubleshooting steps to resolve AC adapter issues. If AC Adapter Type is recognized correctly, proceed to the next step.

What does this tell/ show?

Contacting Dell support also might help.

Your issue still seems to have something to do with your computers for some reason are'nt bringing optimal performance, at least when using the connected power adapter, even after using the suggestied settings given to you in the first thread about this. The question is why?

Right now i'm having a hard time to see how an application should only give troubles when using a power adapter, but not when using battery, if settings is correct for both for optimal performance. It does'nt make sense that should be because of the application. That said, then i know that weird things sometimes does happen.

I can only base my answers on your informations.
I don't think, i can do more than this.

retrophonics

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:44 am »
Thank you LBH.

You have given me lots of information to work on.

Just to update you further... I have now loaded Lab 3, my Focusrite 2i2 audio card and Abelton Live Lite onto my main home desk top computer (not a laptop) which is running Win 7. It is has a slightly more powerful CPU but it's still and i7 same as laptop and uses same Ram of 8 mbs as laptop but it all works fine!!
So far I've no sound or crash issues with Lab 3, sound card or anything else...
So I'm obviously setting it up correctly and the problem is with the laptop.
It is using the correct charging power source so this is not the issue.
I've set it up on both my Dell laptops (1 is less powerful than the other) and the same issue is on both.
So this eliminates it being a fault in the laptop.
Maybe there is an issue between the AC power sources in these Dell laptops and Lab 3?
The spec on my music laptop & dekstop are below....
Laptop is running Dell  Win 10, intel i7 2620 @ 2.7 processor, 8 mb Ram
Desktop is running Dell Win 7, intel i7 2600 @ 3.4 processor, 8 mb Ram

But I think the issue lies with the power source which when the laptop is plugged into AC seems to overload the CPU when playing Lab 3.
I think at this stage, the problem is with the laptop and it is not compatable with Lab 3.
But I'm curious that I seem to be the only person with this problem?

I will check out all your suggestions and see if it can be resolved....at least I now know what the issue is but don't understand why it should be the power source on 2 different Dell laptops ....maybe the spec must be considerably higher to cope with Lab 3??

AndyRH

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 01:55:02 pm »
Didn't you say in the other post you made, that the laptop is a reconditioned one?
The fault might be with the person or shop you bought it from giving you the wrong, or faulty power supply. Power supplies do not (or aren't supposed to) overload CPUs.

Which brings me to another question - has the laptop been overclocked in any way?

retrophonics

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 02:49:02 pm »
Yes, It is a reconditioned laptop...
I'm not sure how to check if it's been over clocked?

When plugged in to AC, many Lab 3 sounds distort and crackle and the small CPU level meter bottom right on Lab screen goes really high...
When on battery power, all sounds fine and the CPU level meter is much reduced... that's what made me think that the AC power was overloading the CPU?

LBH

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 03:43:07 pm »
When on battery power, all sounds fine and the CPU level meter is much reduced... that's what made me think that the AC power was overloading the CPU?
Yes, and that's what you can check using the info and the link i provided in my latest post.

If this is'nt the case, then you are having a very strange issue.

BTW: Also be sure you have set the suggested high performance settings for your laptop when you use power adapter.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:30:24 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines