March 28, 2024, 07:19:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Where is the "random dial" mentioned in the manual?  (Read 4974 times)

JimmyTheSaint

• Apprentice
Where is the "random dial" mentioned in the manual?
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:11:42 am »
Section 10.3.5 (p. 80) of the manual says, "you can add a general randomness multiplicator with the Random dial." I don't see a random dial in the section on the right side of Left Hand. I've set RAND L and RAND R to various values, and they work, but don't see any Random knob to set at min or max as the examples on page 80 suggest. I only see sections for "MODE," "RATE," and "OUTPUT." There's no "HUMANIZE."

LBH

Re: Where is the "random dial" mentioned in the manual?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45:51 pm »
Hi,

I agree it's very unclear.

I think it's actually the Function Amount knobs beside the parameter name in each function slot, that the manual call Random Dial.
I have attached an image. I think it's the knobs inside the yellow rectangle.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:50:19 pm by LBH »

JimmyTheSaint

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 03:55:28 pm »
You might be right, but it would be nice to be sure, so if someone from Arturia can clarify this, that would be welcome because there's definitely an error of some kind here. The manual says:

On a flat unipolar line with only first and last default points:

• Create a curve with one or two points and select the Complex Oscillator pitch as destination

• Apply a positive amount of modulation to the Complex Oscillator pitch with the "amount" dial

• Select point 1 and set RAND L value at 1.000

• Set Random knob at max, and mode to "LOOP".
This clearly distinguishes between "the "amount" dial" and the "Random knob," and you're suggesting they are the same thing.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:56:20 pm »
Actually i think that whole section in the manual about this is a mess. In many ways the section make no sense.

I answered like i did, because that make most sense to me this way.
The RAND L and RAND R allready set the Random Amount for each point. And this works. So no Random knob is needed to make this settings to work for a single point, and that's what the example you qoute is about.

The manual does mention that the Random Dial add general randomness. The Function Amount was to me the closest to be General.
If another General parameter knob named Random (Random What?) should have excisted, then perhaps all points RAND L and RAND R settings should be set at the same time using this parameter. If a generel parameter like this is meant to be, then the dial is missing. However i do not see anything that describe how a General parameter should work, so i just assumed the manual is a mess on this.

My guess is the manual does not refer to the application as it ended up in the end. Perhaps it refer to something during the developement. As it is know it's nonsense, as the manual refer to none excisting things.

But i also would like this to be made clear by Arturia.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:07:12 pm by LBH »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:02:08 am »
Hi,
sorry for not having answered earlier.
Yes there is a mistake in the manual, the whole section 10.3.5 "humanize" (PDF page 84) should be reworked and the reference to this random knob at the end of PDF page 82 should be removed.
Long story short, this random knob existed during the development, but appeared not really relevant at the end.
Sorry for the confusion, i'll warn the quality department asap.

Thanks for having warned us,
best regards
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:24:49 am by Germain.arturia »

LBH

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:10:36 pm »
Thanks Germain.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines